VOGONS

First post, by iFXBR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I have this Pentium 233 MMX with a S3 Trio64+ PCI installed. Recently I found a Voodoo 3 2000 PCI sale and I wonder if this video card is compatible with my system.

Voodoo3.jpg
Filename
Voodoo3.jpg
File size
188.29 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Do you guys know if this video card is going to work on my system?

Last edited by iFXBR on 2017-02-08, 11:14. Edited 2 times in total.

iFXBR - Vintage Computer Lover

Reply 2 of 11, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It should be compatible. the only way it wouldn't be is if the card is damaged, or somehow your PCI slots are so old that they don't support the universal keying of the V3 (which I doubt with a 233MMX). Just try, you won't hurt anything.

If you're just running DOS, there's nothing to do but swap the cards. If you're running Win9x, then be sure to get the Voodoo3 drivers ready on your system before switching.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3 of 11, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
iFXBR wrote:
Hello, […]
Show full quote

Hello,

I have this Pentium 233 MMX with a S3 Trio64+ PCI installed. Recently I found a Voodoo 3 3000 PCI sale and I wonder if this video card is compatible with my system.

Voodoo3.jpg

If you can find a bargain V3 then take it. You can always find a home for it but it's much harder to find a V3 PCI on sale.
You might also want to downclock the V3 if you run it on P233MMX.

Reply 4 of 11, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your cpu will be a bit slow so the card will not run at its full potential but yes, it will work and your system will be as fast as it can be with 3d games.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 5 of 11, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yep, it should work just fine, and the Voodoo3 is also a very fast performer for DOS games - at least as fast as the nVidia Quadro2 and Matrox G400, but with fewer compatibility caveats.

Interestingly, I've actually seen a 486 machine with a Voodoo3 before - it was an AMD 5x86/133 with 128MB of RAM, belonged to a sailor I knew many moons ago, back around 2001 or so. Mostly used it for playing DOS games, but hardware-accelerated 3D worked under Linux, at least.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 6 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
iFXBR wrote:
Hello, […]
Show full quote

Hello,

I have this Pentium 233 MMX with a S3 Trio64+ PCI installed. Recently I found a Voodoo 3 3000 PCI sale and I wonder if this video card is compatible with my system.

Voodoo3.jpg

Looks like a Voodoo 3 2000 PCI to me, judging by the heatsink. Still a very nice find though, enjoy! 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 11, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep looks like a 2000 modal, but that is fine. Voodoo 3 should work well, obviously not at full performance, but a lot better than the Trio.

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 8 of 11, by iFXBR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

Looks like a Voodoo 3 2000 PCI to me, judging by the heatsink. Still a very nice find though, enjoy! 😁

Ooops! Typing error, sorry. It is really Voodoo 3 2000. Already edited post, thanks.

iFXBR - Vintage Computer Lover

Reply 9 of 11, by Super_Relay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

in about 1998 i bought a voodoo 3 2000 pci pretty much exactly like that specifically to go in my p200mmx machine, which was my main pc at the time.

i had no AGP port and so it seemed the best option. it worked fantastic, i was playing halflife 1 at 1024x768, quake 2 was super smooth.
UT99 and diablo 2 were perfect in glide
good times

it would probably be my first choice for a machine that age

Reply 10 of 11, by DarthNvader

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There's even a Mac FCode Rom you can flash to the card, and have it work in PPC Mac's. I had one back in the day I used for my Powermac 8600 with a 450Mhz G3.

There never were any OS X drivers for any of the 3DFX cards, so Classic Mac OS only, and the OpenGL extensions from 9.2 are not compatible with Voodoo cards, so they have to be swapped with the one's from 9.1.

http://www.falconfly.de/downloads/voodoo3driv … s_beta13_c3.sit

Reply 11 of 11, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh, that's a cool option. I never thought of using one in a Mac.

An interesting thing about some Mac video cards, BTW - their ROM is bigger than their PC equivalent. So, with a Mac Edition Radeon 7000, say, you can flash in the Mac FCode, PC BIOS, or Sun FCode. The latter would let you use it on a Sun workstation as an XVR-100 (and is necessary for Solaris to recognize it, but not to use it with Linux).

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.