VOGONS

Are GeForce 256 DDR cards that rare?

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 318, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
swaaye wrote:

What resolution and settings do you usually use? What games do you play?

depending on the game I play them at either 800*600 or 1024*768 what ever the highest settings allow.
my current gamelist for my Gf 256 rig (combined with a V2 SLI) on a PII:
- NFS porsche & High stakes
- Dungeon Siege & Legends of Aranna
- Rogue Squadron
- Half life & expansions
- C&C Tiberian sun & Firestorm
- Dune 2k
- Stronghold & Crusader
- AOE 1 & 2
- Quake 3
- Heretic 2
- Blood 2
- Carmageddon TDR 2000
- Diablo II
- KKND 2
- M.A.X. II
- Street Wars
- Dark Forces
- Warzone 2100

(got a big HD 😎 )

Reply 61 of 318, by Chaniyth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

The GF 2 Ti came out quite late. I think even when the GF3 was already out. Basically as a budget alternative?

Ah, thanks Phil for clearing that up. Sort of a silent release budget card I'd imagine because Nvidia would want gamers to buy a shiny new GeForce 3 series card.

I wonder if the GeForce 2 Ti were binned Ultra cards because they have the same core clock speeds as the GeForce 2 Ultra but the memory clock was 30/60Mhz (DDR) slower than the GeForce 2 Ultra.

All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you. 😁

Reply 62 of 318, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Chaniyth wrote:

I wonder if the GeForce 2 Ti were binned Ultra cards because they have the same core clock speeds as the GeForce 2 Ultra but the memory clock was 30/60Mhz (DDR) slower than the GeForce 2 Ultra.

I suppose they tried to reduce the cost of the total card by installing slower memory on it, while using the same GPU.
Back then, memory was a major factor in cost of the video card (I had a GF2GTS with 32 MB, which was basically half the price of the 64 MB model. Fast VRAM was really expensive).

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 63 of 318, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Chaniyth wrote:

AFAIK the GF2 Ti chip is made with a smaller manufacturing process. So they usually clock higher and run cooler 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 64 of 318, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
Chaniyth wrote:

AFAIK the GF2 Ti chip is made with a smaller manufacturing process. So they usually clock higher and run cooler 😀

Correct. From Anandtech:

In addition to gaining 50MHz on the core speed compared to its GeForce2 Pro predecessor, the GeForce2 Ti 200 also got a die shrink. The GeForce2 Ti 200 is essentially a GeForce2 GTS series chip that is manufactured on a 0.15 micron process instead of the older 0.18 micron process used in GeForce2 GTS, GeForce2 Pro, and GeForce2 Ultra chips. This allowed NVIDIA to reach higher clock speeds with better yields on the GeForce2 Ti 200 cores.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 65 of 318, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Scali wrote:

I suppose they tried to reduce the cost of the total card by installing slower memory on it

Quite a lot of brandname GeForce 2 Ti had 4ns memory.

PhilsComputerLab wrote:

So they usually clock higher

They don't actually. Most of Ultra cards can hit +/- 300mhz GPU (with decent cooling) and Ti usually can hit only 270-280. GPU voltage difference probably.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 66 of 318, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Quite a lot of brandname GeForce 2 Ti had 4ns memory.

Yea, that's the other side of the story 😀
I have an Asus GF2GTS that can easily run at Pro speeds as well, because they just put much faster memory on there than the official 'GTS' specs require.
They probably did the same with "Ti" models. Partly to offer users great overclockability, and perhaps also partly because then they could just buy the faster memory in bulk, rather than buying smaller batches of different speed grades of memory.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 67 of 318, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Scali wrote:

perhaps also partly because then they could just buy the faster memory in bulk, rather than buying smaller batches of different speed grades of memory.

Most likely this. Same memory was used on GeForce 3 Ti 200/500 models.

Reply 68 of 318, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote:

They don't actually. Most of Ultra cards can hit +/- 300mhz GPU (with decent cooling) and Ti usually can hit only 270-280. GPU voltage difference probably.

True I found the same with the Quadro2 Pro. At least the card I have is an overclocking beast.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 69 of 318, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I actually bought a GeForce 256 DDR with 64MB about 1 year ago for 3,60€, together with a few other cards. I used the local ads website where you can still find some decent deals, although the really good ones require the skills to identify cards and other hardware parts in blurry/shaky photos. That's how I got the GeForce 256 since it wasn't properly announced in the description.

BTW, I had a GeForce 2 Ti 64MB back in the day when it was new, and I can confirm that it was a sort of budget card for people that still cared about performance. Not as fast as a GeForce3, but way better than the much more common TNT2 M64's, and faster than the GeForce 2 MX's while not costing all that much more.

Reply 70 of 318, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

much more common TNT2 M64's

M64s were already history at that time and replaced by MX200 a year before.

Reply 71 of 318, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Here's the website of a local computer store from June 2002 (that's 8 months after the GeForce 2 Ti was released) where you can see that the TNT2 M64's were still being sold and positioned as the cheapest cards available: https://web.archive.org/web/20020623111009/ht … at=23&subcat=59 So, definitely not "history", although they didn't suck any less than when they were released.

Reply 72 of 318, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
devius wrote:
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Here's the website of a local computer store from June 2002 (that's 8 months after the GeForce 2 Ti was released) where you can see that the TNT2 M64's were still being sold and positioned as the cheapest cards available: https://web.archive.org/web/20020623111009/ht … at=23&subcat=59 So, definitely not "history", although they didn't suck any less than when they were released.

I tend to agree about the TNT2 M64 having had a very long shelf life. The newer ones were mostly OEM stuff though.
Should be visible on the PCB manufacturing dates.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 73 of 318, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I actually scored an Annihilator Pro card yesterday on Ebay 😁
32mb DDR NV10. Can't wait until it arrives !

It no longer has its stock fan/heatsink though but a passive one, V3 style. Have to look for a good matching solution so if anyone has any links ?
Card works ok according to ad and screenshots.

Heresy grows from idleness ...

Reply 74 of 318, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
AzzKickr wrote:
I actually scored an Annihilator Pro card yesterday on Ebay :D 32mb DDR NV10. Can't wait until it arrives ! […]
Show full quote

I actually scored an Annihilator Pro card yesterday on Ebay 😁
32mb DDR NV10. Can't wait until it arrives !

It no longer has its stock fan/heatsink though but a passive one, V3 style. Have to look for a good matching solution so if anyone has any links ?
Card works ok according to ad and screenshots.

Iirc a north bridge (athlon xp mobos)heatsink + 30 mm fan are quite good if you have space.
Otherwise aliexpress sells those v3 style heatsink + fan dirt cheap.

Reply 75 of 318, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, something strange and wonderful happened. A friend of mine who works at our IT dept. called me up and asked me to come over to this desk so I obliged. He had a box full of addon cards that he thought could be useful to me, knowing I'me into retro hardware (read: junk). Well, there were a couple of nice cards in there, but the jewel of this loot was a Creative 3D Annihilator Pro CT6970:

med_gallery_60983_11505_546728.jpg

The fan needs some oiling or replacing but otherwise it looks perfectly fine. Amazing!

Last edited by appiah4 on 2017-04-24, 15:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 76 of 318, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

Well, something strange and wonderful happened. A friend of mine who works at our IT dept. called me up and asked me to come over to this desk so I obliged. He had a box full of addon cards that he thought could be useful to me, knowing I'me into retro hardware (read: junk). Well, there were a couple of nice cards in there, but the jewel of this loot was a Creative 3D Annihilator Pro CT6970:

(image will be here momentarily 😀 )

The fan needs some oiling or replacing but otherwise it looks perfectly fine. Amazing!

Hey ! Same card like I scored ! Cheers 'n beers !! 🤣

PS: Do tell us about the others in there too !

Heresy grows from idleness ...

Reply 77 of 318, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Heres the rest.. Two 9550GEs, a 9250, a 9200SE, an MX4000, a Cisco 802.11b wlan PCI and a D-Link 802.11g wlan PCI

med_gallery_60983_11505_512374.jpg

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.