VOGONS

Reply 120 of 123, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Considering sorry state of Nvidia drivers in 9x environment after GeForce 6xxx, X800 is a no brainer. Better filtering is a bonus.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 121 of 123, by Stermy57

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kithylin wrote on 2017-07-23, 04:27:
The Serpent Rider wrote:
Meanwhile I've tested Radeon 9800 Pro at last. Filtering pattern is identical to Radeon 7500, so it's safe to say that filtering […]
Show full quote

Meanwhile I've tested Radeon 9800 Pro at last. Filtering pattern is identical to Radeon 7500, so it's safe to say that filtering is identical from Radeon 256 and all the way to Radeon X1950XTX. DX10+ cards have better quality of filtering overall as mentioned before.
Here's macroshot of Radeon pattern:
Q3 wall macroshot Radeon 9800.png
Q3 wall macroshot Radeon 9800 edge.png
And here's GeForce pattern (now with edge detection to compare)
Q3 wall macroshot GeForce 3.png
Q3 wall macroshot GeForce 3 edge.png
Radeon pattern is not perfect, but at least trying to resemble smooth pattern of older cards. While GeForce pattern is just a horrible mess of squares.
In conclusion? Probably should stick to Radeon cards for Windows 98 retrogaming and avoid any old GeForce like a plague. Or go full retro and stick to Riva TNT/3Dfx/Matrox G400.

But nobody cares anyway 😈

Except the performance.. for Win98se gaming there's nothing AMD side that matches the performance of the 6800 ultra that's 100% native Win98se compatible. At least not that I'm aware of.

First at all, I want to apologize if I am quoting an old post but I can't accept something like this. Nvidia NV4X and G7x are rubbish.
With Wndows 98Se are terrible in terms of compatibility and performance but even in Windows XP. ATI simply won hand down in everything. I am reading too much things like this everywhere. If you wrote something like this, It means that you have never used them with Windows 98...

Reply 122 of 123, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stermy57 wrote:

First at all, I want to apologize if I am quoting an old post but I can't accept something like this.

Another visitor? Stay awhile; stay forever!

GeForce FX series and lower are fine, but not for Unreal engine games, due to horrible blocky lightmaps. Although opinion on that matter may vary.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.