VOGONS

First post, by arianon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all, brand new member. Working on building up at late 90s rig to play some games from that era. I recently purchased a Number Nine Revolution IV (AGP version) to go on a Intel 440 BX-2 motherboard but ran into some difficulties. When I tried to boot I would get the one long two short beeps error for bad video card, I thought I had just gotten a bad card off of Ebay. There is one 3 pin header on the graphics card and as a last ditch effort thought I would throw a jumper on the header and it booted! There are some graphical errors during post on the bios screen with vertical stripes going down the screen, the stripes aren't there when it shows the VGA BIOS or in DOS (6.22), only in the BIOS. I was wondering if anyone knew what the header was for? I searched their old website on the web archive and googled around but haven't had any luck coming across any information. I'll post pictures after work today as well.

Reply 1 of 2, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

From images it looks like the jumper is to enable or disable the card's VGA support. If VGA is disabled the system would beep because there is no VGA card to initialize. The card would only work once an OS driver initializes it. This way you have the option to run a separate VGA card and just use the Revolution IV for Windows. It was a fairly common approach with earlier GUI accelerators that simply had no VGA support.

http://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/component … v-revolution-iv

I don't know the cause of the problems you're having though. Could be bad solder joint or damaged video RAM...

Reply 2 of 2, by arianon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks very much! That explanation makes complete sense for the header. I've attached a couple pictures of my system, the card and then the strange bars I'm getting. They only show up on BIOS screens. The VGA BIOS is fine, and then DOS is great as well. I also included a screenshot showing Quest For Glory running with zero graphical problems. If anyone has seen this before, or knows what it might be please let me know!

Ari

Attachments

• IMG_20170531_222307.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20170531_222307.jpg
    File size
    1.15 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Game Just Fine
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception