VOGONS

First post, by mmmark84

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Can any 9700 pro owner help me with the identification of the following component:

BqEe1d9.jpg?1

3bxODN1.jpg

That little capacitor is missing on mine (broken off) which makes the card display artifacts and eventualy a black screen.
I think that would be the problem which I could fix, if I could only figure out the correct value it needs to be.

I won the card in an auction (99 euro cents) which was noted it was not tested.
If this is the only problem with it, it could be a steal.

Card looks very good otherwise and I cant find any other missing components.

Reply 1 of 3, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't own one and that's a bad photo, but from other photos on the net I figured that's a power supply bypass capacitor for the 74ACT08 AND gate right next to it. The capacitor value is not that critical, it most likely could be 10nF or 100nF, and such capacitances are next to impossible measure unless you remove the capacitor from a working board and connect it to expensive capacitance meter capable of measuring such small capacitances.

You could put a same sized and same looking capacitor from another broken device maybe, just take one from near a chip.

But based on the symptoms I suspect the problem is something far more serious than a single missing bypass capacitor.

Reply 2 of 3, by mmmark84

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thx for the extra effort Jepael.

I tried to put a 100nF on it to see if that did anything before your post, cause I figured something like that too.
But after a few minutes of success, the artifacts started to appear again and during windows installation I got a black screen once again...

I know tried different systems already and different power supplies.

I also removed the heatsink and replaced the extremely hard substance which would have passed for heat transfer paste back in the day, for something more modern to see if it was heat related.
Sadly, the same result.

I am a bit afraid this would be some BGA issue. cracks in the solder joints of the memory chips.

Reply 3 of 3, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried downclocking the card. It may help

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME