VOGONS

First post, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was fortunate enough to pick up a whole bunch of PC parts for £5 the other day and it happened to include a Voodoo 3 2000 PCI. I have a couple of questions as this is my first Voodoo card.

- Can I run this at the same time as an AGP graphics card and easily switch which graphics card to use to render an image?
- I know some games from, idk, 1999 onwards had launchers that allowed you to select which display adapter to use. Would I need to plug the VGA cable into the voodoo or would the video signal "pass through" the AGP card, even if the AGP card isn't doing any of the rendering?
- Games that don't allow you to select the display adaptor would just default to the primary adaptor, likely whatever I have in the AGP slot (probably a MX 440). Or are glide games clever enough to 'detect' a voodoo card?

This would be on a Windows 98SE Slot A PC with an AMD 751 chipset.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 2 of 4, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Voodoo3 is NOT a 3d add-on card like a voodoo1 or voodoo2 so it also does not ''pass trough'' the signal to the agp card.

It needs to be used as a full blown graphics card: for 2d, direct3d and glide.

You can switch cards in the bios (selecting pci or agp card first) and let windows load the driver for the card you chose. You also have to switch the monitor cable if you switch cards, or you can use a monitor switch/kvm switch. When there is no big important reason to use an agp card it is much easier to just have the v3. It is a nice card for most retro games.

If you want it all you can use the agp and have one or two voodoo2 cards at the same time. This is one of the reasons voodoo2's are so popular. These are add-on cards that let you use your agp for direct3d if you want to and can be used to play glide (they also support direct3d and you can select the agp or the v2's for direct3d). This is not possible with a voodoo3.

Some games you get a menu, other games have a different executable for the glide version. It all depends on the game.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 3 of 4, by dries_86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

agree with the above.

Theoretically you could use an AGP (T&L) card with a V3 PCI in a dual display setup while only using 1 monitor (condition is the monitor has both DVI + VGA input).
If the AGP card has a DVI output you can connect a DVI cable to DVI input monitor and the VGA output from V3 to VGA input monitor. I tested this and some games seem to be able to switch to the V3 when selecting Glide API but unfortunately multiple display support on W98SE works quite awkward.

So really your best option is to make a dedicated V3 setup or alternatively switching the Primary Display adaptor in the BIOS.

Reply 4 of 4, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Voodoo 3 is a great 2D/3D card for retro gaming. It rocks from 199x-2000. I use my retro PC more for gaming then my modern PC. 🤣

Plus, you can overclock that V3 2000 to 3000 or 3500 speeds no problem with a simple fan mod.

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME