VOGONS

First post, by W Gruffydd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

From the wiki (yes, I know):

The Rush had the same specifications as Voodoo Graphics, but did not perform as well because the Rush chipset had to share memory bandwidth with the CRTC of the 2D chip. Furthermore, the Rush chipset was not directly present on the PCI bus but had to be programmed through linked registers of the 2D chip. Like the Voodoo Graphics, there was no interrupt mechanism, so the driver had to poll the Rush in order to determine whether a command had completed or not; the indirection through the 2D component added significant overhead here and tended to back up traffic on the PCI interface. The typical performance hit was around 10% compared to Voodoo Graphics, and even worse in windowed mode. Later Rush boards released by Hercules had 8 MiB VRAM and a 10% higher clock speed to close the performance gap.

A rare third version was produced which featured a Cirrus Logic 2D chip. This version fixed the PCI bus collisions and memory interface problems.

I see the 8MB Voodoo Rush cards for sale often enough (Hercules and 2theMAX), but I haven't seen benchmarks for these vs. the 6MB version. Nor have I seen the alleged version with the Cirrus Logic 2D chip, let alone benchmarks. I look for the Cirrus Logic markings on chips of the boards I encounter, but I've not netted anything so far.

My list of wanted hardware

Reply 1 of 4, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Never heard of that one before?

Not a single picture of it on the internet is also a little strange. No mentioning of it on the Dodge Grage site (Gary Donovan's) which had an Amazing 3dfx collection and also Nitrox Infinity had never heard of it (he had a very big collection of 200+ cards himself). A lot of the collectors have/had 8mb rush cards but not a single one of them is a Cirrus Logic one.

I could be very wrong ofcourse but i think this card does not exist and it is just a rumour?

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 2 of 4, by W Gruffydd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's Wikipedia for you; there's not a single citation in the Rush section and precious few overall.

We know the 8MB cards are real, at least. Can anyone confirm that some 8MB versions are clocked higher? Perhaps they did unadvertised clock bumps ala Matrox Mystique 170.

I'm considering whether to try the Rush in a permanent 1997-era rotation, but I'm probably hoping too much that a vendor has polished this turd. The combination of 8MB, +10% clock, and a chip that fixed the PCI communication might put it over a Voodoo in 3D performance.

My list of wanted hardware

Reply 3 of 4, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is only the early boards being clocked at 45 MHz (like the Hercules dual planar), mature Rush run at 50 MHz on par with Voodoo Graphics.

Many 2D chips were considered for Rush, AFAIK only two companies succeeded.

W Gruffydd wrote:

The combination of 8MB, +10% clock, and a chip that fixed the PCI communication might put it over a Voodoo in 3D performance.

No, there are other deficiencies.

Reply 4 of 4, by kaiser77_1982

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This hoax appered after the kickstarter of my book and it is false. It was written by UKER "01:55, 29 December 2018" in Wikipedia.

Anyway, we only have to think. When Voodoo Rush arrived, CL had the Laguna3D and they know that they are fucked off becuase S3 and SiS hit its market.

There were many proyects for Rush and maybe, we will never know all but only two was launched. I doubt so much that CL wanted a Rush when the card was a "lost horse".

EDIT: In this web: They talked about the card launched: https://thinkcomputers.org/3dfx-graphic-cards-history/
Maybe this is the source.