VOGONS

First post, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am working on a retro PC build, XT or AT with EGA card. I alteady have a Paradise HEGA card. What screens can I use?

Are there converters or even modern LCD screens that process EGA video signals?

Also, which CRTs are recommended if I want to go full retro?

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 1 of 9, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well for the CRT way you will need an EGA monitor - just get what you can find working since nowdays EGA monitors are not that common.
There is also the "MDA/CGA/EGA to VGA Converter" project that will allow you to use a modern VGA monitor: MDA/CGA/EGA to VGA Converter Released!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 9, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hm, I looked on ebay and found this thing here:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Portable-VGA-RGB-CGA-E … d-/222602617062

Price is cheap, and if it really works I think it’s a good option.

keropi wrote:

Well for the CRT way you will need an EGA monitor - just get what you can find working since nowdays EGA monitors are not that common.
There is also the "MDA/CGA/EGA to VGA Converter" project that will allow you to use a modern VGA monitor: MDA/CGA/EGA to VGA Converter Released!

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 4 of 9, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kubik wrote:

One EGA I've just missed on eBay had composite output as well. I don't know if that's a standard feature or not, but it would be also an possibility.

Yes my Paradise HEGA has two chinch/RCA ports. Maybe there’s composite in one of them? I need a manual...

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 5 of 9, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

99% of the time this RCA plugs are for external sync signals input and output, not a composite-output. One EGA card that has indeed composite output is the ATI EGA WONDER 800 as it also offers support for the classic IBM Portable.

The eBay converter will work but it won't be as good as the one I linked on my previous post. Better than nothing for sure - just not that good 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 9, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

The eBay converter will work but it won't be as good as the one I linked on my previous post. Better than nothing for sure - just not that good 😁

What makes the other one so good? I am willing to spend 20€ just so I have something to work with. I can upgrade later...

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 7 of 9, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

crappy image quality, processing lag, etc
It's just a GBS 8820 just look it on the net. I have tested with a cga-style input once and it works for the simple text modes it was meant to be used with.

Reply 8 of 9, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
root42 wrote:

I am working on a retro PC build, XT or AT with EGA card. I alteady have a Paradise HEGA card. What screens can I use?

Are there converters or even modern LCD screens that process EGA video signals?

Also, which CRTs are recommended if I want to go full retro?

You can use a standard CGA monitor for EGA low-res, can't you? I think you won't be able to hit the 350-line 16 color display, but 320x200 16-color should work.

Reply 9 of 9, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wasn't the sync polarity swapped between EGA and CGA? Or was that just for the enhanced EGA modes to prevent a CGA monitor from trying to display them and failing?