VOGONS

First post, by murrayman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got my hands on an old Dell E193FP LCD monitor for a few minutes to play around with. Owner has had it shelved for a while, but is in great cosmetic shape, though they said the last time they used it, it started to make a strong electrical scent and smoke out the back. Sure enough, I plugged it up and gave it native res / refresh rate input, and it began to do exactly that after about ten minutes. There's also an audible buzz coming from the back that varies dependent on resolution and if it's switching from one to another, the transitional period being the loudest.

What might be the issue here? The image is very nice, consistent, no dead pixels / no flickering, and the backlighting appears to be in good shape. I'd like to repair it if at all possible.

P3B-F 1.04, PIII 1k, 512MB PC133, GF DDR 32MB + DM3DII 12MB SLI, SB0100
P3B-F 1.03, PIII 700, 384MB PC100, V5 AGP, SB0160
CP 5170, PII 350, 256MB PC100, Rage LT 2MB, ESS 1869
PB M S610, PMMX 233, 128MB EDO66, DM3D 4MB, Aztech

Reply 1 of 8, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You need to pop the LCD open and begin looking at the circuit boards inside. You need to look for any damaged components, heat discoloration, etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're maybe not very comfortable with repairing electronics. LCDs are generally pretty simple, but I suggest looking for someplace local that you can get someone to show you the ropes.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 8, by murrayman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

You need to pop the LCD open and begin looking at the circuit boards inside. You need to look for any damaged components, heat discoloration, etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're maybe not very comfortable with repairing electronics. LCDs are generally pretty simple, but I suggest looking for someplace local that you can get someone to show you the ropes.

I can work with a soldering iron and am familiar with replacing capacitors, but that is the limit of experience I have when working with display electronics. All other experience is with computer hardware and vehicle electronics, nothing to do with, for example, anything that might have gone bad on the power inverter board. I'm willing to learn, but I'd be fine with taking it somewhere local if there is a health risk, as I'm not at all comfortable with properly discharging anything that holds a residual charge after unplugging. I know LCDs are nothing like CRTs in terms of holding a charge, but I understand some still can.

Reply 4 of 8, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
murrayman wrote:

I can work with a soldering iron and am familiar with replacing capacitors, but that is the limit of experience I have when working with display electronics. All other experience is with computer hardware and vehicle electronics, nothing to do with, for example, anything that might have gone bad on the power inverter board. I'm willing to learn, but I'd be fine with taking it somewhere local if there is a health risk, as I'm not at all comfortable with properly discharging anything that holds a residual charge after unplugging. I know LCDs are nothing like CRTs in terms of holding a charge, but I understand some still can.

Well, that's a good basis. The CCFL inverter does generate some high voltage, but it's certainly not as dangerous as a CRT when powered down, or even the HV supply of a plasma display. Discharging is generally as simple as using a probe, ground lead, and inline resistor to properly bleed your power rails.

If you're uncomfortable with operating on household level voltages, begin doing some research to familiarize yourself with appropriate risk factors and perhaps find a technician, HAM operator, or experienced hobbyist you can consult with. I doubt it will take you long to develop the correct understanding to operate on kV range electronics (low current) safely.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 8, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not familiar with that particular monitor, but what you describe does sound like a bad cap that is gassing out most likely from the internal power supply board (If one is present unless this uses a power brick)

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 6 of 8, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Remove the back. Stand away from unit while looking at the circuit boards and apply power. Look for smoke. Thats a quick way to look for the issue.

Gonna be the inverter or power supply likely.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 7 of 8, by murrayman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's an internal power supply, so that or a cap will likely be it. I'll follow the recommendation to take it apart and power it up to watch for smoke, then go from there. Thanks all!

Reply 8 of 8, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Get a good flashlight to shine at it to help see the smoke easier as well.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20