VOGONS

Table Fog & 8-bit Paletted Textures

Topic actions

Reply 81 of 82, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess I was wrong again without thorough checking on other GPUs. 🤣 In fact, WineD3D is capable of rendering Fog correctly on Thief2 TMA in pristine condition except on modern NVIDIA GPU, which I tested mine is GT730. It seems that it is a regression in NVIDIA OpenGL driver that no one cared and NVIDIA screwed up their own tricks from their past GPUs. ATI/AMD and Intel GPUs render the fog correctly with WineD3D 5.0.5.

Here's a few untouched, reference screenshots from Ryzen 2500U on ArchLinux. The screenshots was captured with sRGB visual otherwise they would be too dark to show on VOGONS. Someone must have retouched their screenshots before posting. Or the screenshots were actually from NewDark which supports shader-based gamma correction to be able to present such level of color saturation.

Screenshot from 2021-09-15 12-55-44.png
Filename
Screenshot from 2021-09-15 12-55-44.png
File size
211.83 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Screenshot from 2021-09-15 12-53-22.png
Filename
Screenshot from 2021-09-15 12-53-22.png
File size
173.02 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Frame rate was great, thanks to Linux KVM. I guess for Thief2 fans, it would be a relief to be able to play the game anytime & anywhere without clinging to retro PC and keeping old GPUs. I think a modern thin & light laptop with Iris Xe Graphics would be great then to enjoy the game. 😉 And if anyone is wishing to make a play-through, I think QEMU would be great for game streaming in real-time with sRGB visual. Those existing play-through from YouTube were too dark, unless they used NewDark engine and enabled shader-based gamma (which was disabled by default).

Reply 82 of 82, by jay_t_yo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not sure if Dino Crisis uses them for the transparent fence textures in the opening scene, but I've noted that ATI card and nVidia cards after the FX series don't render it correctly. The rebirth patch fixes this on modern systems.

I'd take some screenshots but all my retro PCs are in storage at the moment