VOGONS

First post, by nali

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I run Voodoo 2 Sli on one of my computers.
Pentium 3 1Ghz, Rage Fury with tv-out, Sound Blaster Isa CT4170 and multiboot dos 6.22 / Win98SE.
I use FastVoodoo2 4.6 drivers.

Of course, I get the recent Voodoo 2 splash screen.
Is there a way to get the old fashionned green Voodoo 1 splash screen ? 😀
It's just cosmetic, I prefer this one 😀
I suppose it's just a dll to change, but I didn't have any succes yet.

I tried removing 3dfxspl2.dll and 3dfxspl3.dll from c:\windows\system, so of course in this case I don't get any splash screen at all, which is expected.
But what to use to get the old one ?
I really searched and didn't find yet.
Thanks.

Reply 2 of 5, by Justin1091

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think you need pre 1999 drivers. I didn't notice any difference with fastvoodoo anyways. I tried 3dfxspl dlls from older drivers but that didn't work. For Dos games the splash screen is perhaps in glide2x.ovl. those two 3dfxspl dlls are for Windows glide games if I'm correct.

Reply 3 of 5, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, you can get it with old drivers, but I'd love to find a way of transplanting the old splash into the newer drivers!

EDIT: Had a play but I can't find the equivalent file in the older drivers 🙁 You can use the Quantum 3D intro though which is pretty spiffy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTuaRI1mhgg

Reply 4 of 5, by Justin1091

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RichB93 wrote:

Yeah, you can get it with old drivers, but I'd love to find a way of transplanting the old splash into the newer drivers!

EDIT: Had a play but I can't find the equivalent file in the older drivers 🙁 You can use the Quantum 3D intro though which is pretty spiffy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTuaRI1mhgg

You mean the 3dfxspl2 and 3dfxspl3.dll files? They should be there, try to open the old driver installation files with 7zip or winrar.
For dos games you can place the glide2x.ovl from an old driver in the game directory. Games usually (or always? I'm not sure) use the file you place in the game directory over the directory specified in your path variable (C:\dos or c:\windows\system or whatever). Because of this, you can choose which driver the game uses and thus which logo the game displays. With fast processors you can't use drivers that are too old, they don't work with faster processors than ~400 mhz.

For Windows games you indeed need to do something with the 3dfxspl files. No idea how and if it will work.

Reply 5 of 5, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So.

3dfxspl2 is for Glide 2x games, spl3 for 3x. No surprises there. As shown, you can transplant older versions, except for the fact that older drivers had the splash screen more tightly integrated into the drivers themselves. I imagine if someone were to disassemble / reverse engineer it, it could be done.

Fun fact : The Quantum 3D 3DFX intro above (I think it may just be a generic 3DFX one!) has a standard 16/44 wave file for the audio... could tinker with that!