VOGONS

First post, by TatooineSky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I'm new to the board, with a Voodoo 3 problem.

I just purchased a Voodoo 3 3000 off ebay, and the seller assures me he tested it and it works 100%. However, when I put it in my AGP slot and turned on the computer absolutely nothing happens. Just a blank screen, no beeps, no nothing. All that happens is the computer fan turns on. When I put back in my original AGP card (an AMIC A276308A-70 card) the computer boots normally.

My system is as follows:
Windows 98SE
AuthenticAMD
Socket 7 board (not supper socket 7)
CPU: AMD-k6(tm)-3D+
CPU Clock: 333 MHZ
Base Memory: 640k
Extended Memory: 130048k
Cache Memory: 1024K
RAM: 384MB
AGP 2X
Has one AGP slot.

I would assume that if this card works something would at least happen. When I boot the system with no card at all in the slot, the system starts booting but then shuts down, but with the Voodoo card in it fully locks up. I can't even go into the bios, because the computer doesn't event boot that up (again, the computer only turns on the fan, no other boot sounds).

I am not an expert on computers or graphic cards. The seller has offered to take it back and refund my money. But if the card works, and it's just my system that is incomparable, I would keep the card and just eventually revise my system. Unfortunately, I currently don't have another computer to test the card on, except for possibly my HP Envy, h8-1414 PC, AMD Six-Core FX-6120. But I'm a bit concerned testing the card out on a more modern system

Could the problem have to do with how I have my jumpers set on the motherboard? Just grasping here.

Thanks,

Last edited by TatooineSky on 2018-08-26, 21:11. Edited 1 time in total.

PIC PA-2013 rev 2.1, SS7, VIA, AMD-K6-3D+, 333Mhz, Voodoo3 3000, CT4520, 98SE

Reply 1 of 9, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Which motherboard? I don't understand how a motherboard can be *not* super socket 7 but have an AGP slot.
I also recall reading that one or two revisions of a socket 7 board with an AGP slot can have problems running Voodoo cards because of the power draw from the AGP slot, which these boards werent designed to handle.

Reply 2 of 9, by Ageve

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Try it on a newer motherboard (slot-1, slot-A, socket 370 or similar.

Edit: Make sure the board you try is compatible with 3.3v AGP, otherwise you could fry the motherboard or graphics card. Pentium 4 boards will usually NOT work.

The HP Envy you mentioned is way too new, and it has PCI Express, not AGP.

Could the problem have to do with how I have my jumpers set on the motherboard? Just grasping here.

What motherboard is it?

Last edited by Ageve on 2018-08-20, 19:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 9, by TatooineSky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately, I’m now traveling for several days and can’t get to my computer. I currently don’t have another computer I can test this on. That’s part of my problem. I need to make the decision to either keep it or sent it back to seller. By the time I find another computer to test it on it will likely be too late to return it. My main question is, is this issue most likely due to a bad card, or is it just as likely to do with my motherboard.

Regarding socket 7 vs super socket 7. Initially I thought it was super s7, but doesn’t supers clock at higher then 333 MHz?

See attach photo showing AGP and zoom in to see some jumper info. Thanks.

Attachments

Reply 4 of 9, by Ageve

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Maybe this could be helpful (same motherboard):
FIC PA-2013 Ver 2.1 and Voodoo3 3000 AGP
Voodoo3 with S-Video port on VIA MVP3 system

”FIC PA2013 (MVP3 chipset). Would not work with either of the 3000 cards. The 2000 AGP seemed to work ok.”

Reply 5 of 9, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do not reinstall the card in that motherboard!

The power draw of a Voodoo3 3000 AGP is too much for that specific motherboard to handle! I believe that only the rev. 2.1 boards of the PA-2013 have the power delivery for the Voodoo3 3000. As the links Ageve has provided discuss, this could result in damage to the motherboard. It is possible that the card works fine, but is just incompatible.

Incidentally, the FIC PA-2013 rev 2.0 board that you have is, in fact, a Super7 board based on the VIA MVP3 chipset (AGPset). I'm rather fond of it as it was my first one Super7 board. Super7 was generally defined as being capable of operating with a 100MHz FSB and providing an AGP slot.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 6 of 9, by TatooineSky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you all for your great input and links you provided. Clearly it looks like I bought the wrong graphics card for the motherboard I have.....live and learn. Fortunately it's doesn't appear that I damaged my motherboard trying to run it. I only powered up the system about 3 times for a minute or two each time. What do you think the odds that I damaged or killed the Voodoo card? Again, I currently don't have a compatible motherboard to test it on. And I don't feel that it's appropriate to return the card to the seller, since it may still be a good card, and it's not their fault it doesn't run on my board.

Another question.
What would you all recommend as a good substitute for a Voodoo 3 3000 that would work on my FIC PA-2013 rev 2.0 board?

Thanks

P.S.
I'm also still confused how to tell if my PA-2013 board is a version 2.0 or 2.1. fitzpatr suggested it was a version 2.0, probably because the board had "2.0 E-0036" on it. However, I've been reading other posts and it appears the version number should be at the lower left of the board, at the end of the isa slot. As you can see in the photo, mine says 2.1. Does that mean my board is a version 2.1 board?

Attachments

• IMG_4186.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_4186.JPG
    File size
    1.11 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 9, by TatooineSky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

(SOLVED) Well, I figured out the problem. The card bios were bad. Once I flashed new bios the card worked fine and my system booted up normally. I found the solution on Pa3PyX's Homepage (http://pa3pyx.dnsalias.org/). I am pasting the web page's discuss below, just in case the page ever disappears. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

Copied from the Pa3PyX's Homepage

Restoring Damaged BIOS […]
Show full quote

Restoring Damaged BIOS

First of all, if you flash your BIOS incorrectly, or anyhow damage the contents of the card's EEPROM in the process, the next time you boot up the system, your video will not be working (you will get a black screen). First of all, a lot of mainboards are dumb enough to refuse to boot up if they did not detect a video card in the system. So, if your mainboard's CMOS setup supports this, set the "Halt on" option to "No Errors" in the Main BIOS Setup (press [F1] or [Del], depending on CMOS, after the system starts, to enter CMOS Setup) - and even that will not always help.

After your system starts with a damaged video card BIOS, it will typically beep 3 times, telling you that video was not detected. To restore video BIOS, you will need to do everything blindly, so before you flash, place all the files into the C:\ root folder beforehand. If you damage card's BIOS and are using Windows 95/98, hold down the [F8] key (WinME users will need to use a bootable diskette - as WinME itself doesn't support DOS mode) while the system starts up. This will bring the boot menu. When the system stalls to wait for input (hard disk activity ceases), press [Shift+F5] to activate DOS mode. You will be placed at command prompt in the C:\ folder. If you flashed the BIOS before and it didn't work, then your old BIOS is probably saved by the flash utility as SAVE.ROM. What you need to do is type:

FLASH.EXE /RESET

and press [Enter]. Then press [y] and [Enter]. There will be some disk activity; after it ceases, reset your system in about 10 seconds. Video BIOS should be restored now, and you may boot up normally. If you somehow damaged the contents of EEPROM otherwise, always keep your original BIOS file (say, ORIGINAL.ROM) and the flash utility in the C:\ folder before tampering with BIOS. In case of failure, do all as above, except at the command prompt, type:

FLASH.EXE ORIGINAL.ROM

then press [y] and [Enter], and reset the system in about 10 seconds.

If the above doesn't work (either the system doesn't boot or you don't remember the file file locations), then the only reasonable way you can restore your video card is by plugging another working video card (not 3Dfx Voodoo) in your system while maintaining Voodoo 3 where it was, then setting the working card to be the primary display in CMOS, and using the working video to watch the output and identify errors, doing everything as above.

Reply 8 of 9, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, I was basing that on the "2.0 E-0036" imprint on the PCB. Fortunately, as you've deduced, your board is a rev. 2.1. I only have the 1.0, and it does not have that string there, so I had made a false assumption.

I'm glad that you both didn't cause any damage to the board, and were able to get the Voodoo3 functional again!

May I see a picture of your processor, please? I'm not quite sure which one you've described.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build