VOGONS


General thoughts on the Permedia 2?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 36, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AtTheGates wrote:
We don't need more e-waste!! :-/ Sell on eBay instead!" […]
Show full quote
Baoran wrote:

I have 2 of these cards. I read some bad reviews about them online, so I have been considering throwing them away to have bit more space.
One of them is Compaq ELSA gloria+ and it has some kind of empty memory slot and the other one seems to be made by STB systems in 1998.

Permedia2.jpg

We don't need more e-waste!! 😒
Sell on eBay instead!"

As a Voodoo 1 class chip it holds up much better than people give it credit for. It has solid DirectX and OpenGL drivers (no Voodoo-esque headaches of the right driver for the right game). Performance is solid, and scales well with faster CPUs (no Voodoo 1 nonsense of refusing to work). And it has great 2D support onboard.

Give them a try before doing anything. You may be surprised.

Problem is that sending anything in my country is extremely expensive. Sending would cost much more than what the cards are worth.

Reply 21 of 36, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When I ran gaming tests on the permedia 2, I found issues with thief 1, virtual sailor, starsiege tribes, and grand prix legends. That was out of about 15 games tested, so not the first pick for an allrounder. It did spin most of nehe's opengl samples.

Reply 22 of 36, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AtTheGates wrote:
stamasd wrote:

I wish I could give thoughts on the Permedia2. I really wish that. I have one but it doesn't work. 🙁

Aw... 🙁

Nice poem btw! xD

Yup. Especially since it's a PCI one which I was hoping to use in a pre-AGP system. Replaced several capacitors but apparently it wasn't that because it still doesn't work.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 23 of 36, by AtTheGates

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
vvbee wrote:

When I ran gaming tests on the permedia 2, I found issues with thief 1, virtual sailor, starsiege tribes, and grand prix legends. That was out of about 15 games tested, so not the first pick for an allrounder. It did spin most of nehe's opengl samples.

Thief I & II work fine for me with an 8MB Permedia 2V using the latest drivers. As does the Starsiege demo. What driver were you using? Some of the earliest drivers do have issues.

Reply 24 of 36, by AtTheGates

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
stamasd wrote:
AtTheGates wrote:
stamasd wrote:

I wish I could give thoughts on the Permedia2. I really wish that. I have one but it doesn't work. 🙁

Aw... 🙁

Nice poem btw! xD

Yup. Especially since it's a PCI one which I was hoping to use in a pre-AGP system. Replaced several capacitors but apparently it wasn't that because it still doesn't work.

Tell me about it. Even my Pentium III system is PCI only!!

Reply 25 of 36, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Newest drivers. No textures in thief 1, no textures in starsiege tribes. Maybe all of their drivers have issues.

To be fair, when testing thief 1 on a fast cpu, confirm that you're not running the software renderer.

Reply 26 of 36, by AtTheGates

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
vvbee wrote:

Newest drivers. No textures in thief 1, no textures in starsiege tribes. Maybe all of their drivers have issues.

To be fair, when testing thief 1 on a fast cpu, confirm that you're not running the software renderer.

Wonder if it's a texture RAM issue. What size RAM is it?

Reply 28 of 36, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's likely less "no textures" and more "no blending functions". GLQuake and Quake2 already do have built-in alpha-blended lighting fallbacks for the Permedia hardware with that limitation in mind. It's a similar treatment to the PowerVR PCX1/2 and the S3 ViRGE.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 29 of 36, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeh, you find putas lamenting it in his review.

The g100 fails thief 1 but not starsiege tribes by the way. I assume the g100's visually correct 1 fps opengl graphics are a software fallback, but not sure at whose end, since even with the mystique you have texture-filtering in that mode.

Last edited by vvbee on 2018-09-15, 13:16. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 30 of 36, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are you quite sure Thief is being rendered on the Permedia 2? I'm fairly certain that everywhere I've seen both of these two talked about, the consensus was that the card displays everything untextured.

Reply 31 of 36, by AtTheGates

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
leileilol wrote:

That's likely less "no textures" and more "no blending functions". GLQuake and Quake2 already do have built-in alpha-blended lighting fallbacks for the Permedia hardware with that limitation in mind. It's a similar treatment to the PowerVR PCX1/2 and the S3 ViRGE.

Virge is utter fucking trash.

Reply 32 of 36, by AtTheGates

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
F2bnp wrote:

Are you quite sure Thief is being rendered on the Permedia 2? I'm fairly certain that everywhere I've seen both of these two talked about, the consensus was that the card displays everything untextured.

I'll dig out a spare harddrive when I get enough spare time this week and retest the Permedia 2 settings. Last time there was filtering, so I don't see how it was software rendering.

Reply 33 of 36, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AtTheGates wrote:

Virge is utter fucking trash.

Feel free to give 'em to me. Variable image quality (depends on the card), but DOS compatibility is pretty good.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 34 of 36, by AtTheGates

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
gdjacobs wrote:
AtTheGates wrote:

Virge is utter fucking trash.

Feel free to give 'em to me. Variable image quality (depends on the card), but DOS compatibility is pretty good.

I meant for 3D! 😜