VOGONS

First post, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello VOGONS members!

Have a stupid question. I noticed on my Voodoo3 3000 in my Pentium 3 system and on a broken Voodoo5 5500 (R.I.P.) in my possession that the "standoff" for the VGA ports have these washers on them. Why? Replacing them with standoffs without the washers and plugging a monitor into my Voodoo3 hasn't done anything bad, so what gives? Is it just for looks, or are the VGA ports on these cards "special" in some way?

3DC7Z9Sl.jpg

The Voodoo1 I have in my possession and from what I can tell with the Voodoo2 from Google images don't have washers on the standoffs for their VGA ports. And, AFAIK, all other GPUs don't have washers on their standoffs for their VGA and DVI ports.

So again, why?

Anything would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by ultra_code on 2018-11-05, 19:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 1 of 3, by Cbb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can't see on the photo if those washers are of grower type. If it's so they will be harder to be turned with monitor's plug screws when undoing them.
Anyway it's a good manner to put the washer under the nut (in this case the screw has a hexagonal head so it's a kind of).

Reply 2 of 3, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cbb wrote:

Can't see on the photo if those washers are of grower type. If it's so they will be harder to be turned with monitor's plug screws when undoing them.
Anyway it's a good manner to put the washer under the nut (in this case the screw has a hexagonal head so it's a kind of).

Sorry for the poor quality, but here's a better look at the washer type. I think your initial categorization is correct - it doesn't want to come off of the standoff (dual tweezers would probably work).
85tlr1jl.jpg

Your reason does make sense, though: make it less likely for the standoff to get screwed off with a VGA cable's screw locks.

Last edited by ultra_code on 2018-11-05, 19:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 3 of 3, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

These are locking washers and are there to prevent the standoff from unscrewing with VGA cable.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜