Best PCI VGA for a K6-III+

Topic actions

Reply 120 of 128, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
386SX wrote on 2021-07-02, 09:25:

Thanks for the memory refresh about T&L games, I'm trying to remember the name of that Direct3D one I'm quite sure one of the early if not the first one using T&L but I need to search a bit on those period games, I remember the player jumping and running on some sort of yellow/green planet and it was a good well known game I tried the demo back then.

Evolva?

Reply 121 of 128, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Putas wrote on 2021-07-02, 09:39:

Thanks for the memory refresh about T&L games, I'm trying to remember the name of that Direct3D one I'm quite sure one of the early if not the first one using T&L but I need to search a bit on those period games, I remember the player jumping and running on some sort of yellow/green planet and it was a good well known game I tried the demo back then.

Evolva?

Yes! That's it! Thanks. 😁

I suppose it was one of the early games supporting the Geforce T&L, wasn't it?

Last edited by 386SX on 2021-07-02, 09:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 122 of 128, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you thinking of Slave Zero? I don't think that was a DirectX 7 game, but I might be wrong.
I think the first game that I saw supporting DirectX 7.0 features was MDK2. I remember that it ran and looked like crap on my K6-2 500 + Ati Rage II 😀
EDIT: never mind, it was Evolva (never played it) 😀

I remember the jump from the K6-2 550 to a Duron 750 on a different chipset (maybe Via can't remember) and it was like night/day in Win usage but also in the same games I was used to play. At the same time I already had switched to a Point of View Geforce2 MX the original and better one imho, and it was amazing.. I didn't overclock the cpu but the gpu could reach 215Mhz easily while the vram couldn't be clocked much higher but the results were great.
I don't know if there're FPU benchmark at the same clocks of both the K6-2/3 FPU and the Athlon/Duron FPU?

I did the jump from a K6-2 500 to a Thunderbird 1333 MHz. That's the single most EXTREME jump in performance that I've ever seen and probably will ever see in my entire life with an upgrade. Initially I was on a TNT2 M64 (after finally getting rid of my ATI Rage II). Later on I also switched to GeForce 2 MX 400 128 bit / 64 MB (a very solid card), and eventually to a GeForce 3 Ti200 (another massive jump in performance, particularly for high resolutions).

As for the FPU performance, never tested it myself, but I would expect the Athlon to have at least double the FPU performance of a K6-2. These tests on Anandtech are probably good indicators of rough FPU performance.

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 123 of 128, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bloodem wrote on 2021-07-02, 09:54:
Are you thinking of Slave Zero? I don't think that was a DirectX 7 game, but I might be wrong. I think the first game that I saw […]
Show full quote

Are you thinking of Slave Zero? I don't think that was a DirectX 7 game, but I might be wrong.
I think the first game that I saw supporting DirectX 7.0 features was MDK2. I remember that it ran and looked like crap on my K6-2 500 + Ati Rage II 😀
EDIT: never mind, it was Evolva (never played it) 😀

I remember the jump from the K6-2 550 to a Duron 750 on a different chipset (maybe Via can't remember) and it was like night/day in Win usage but also in the same games I was used to play. At the same time I already had switched to a Point of View Geforce2 MX the original and better one imho, and it was amazing.. I didn't overclock the cpu but the gpu could reach 215Mhz easily while the vram couldn't be clocked much higher but the results were great.
I don't know if there're FPU benchmark at the same clocks of both the K6-2/3 FPU and the Athlon/Duron FPU?

I did the jump from a K6-2 500 to a Thunderbird 1333 MHz. That's the single most EXTREME jump in performance that I've ever seen and probably will ever see in my entire life with an upgrade. Initially I was on a TNT2 M64 (after finally getting rid of my ATI Rage II). Later on I also switched to GeForce 2 MX 400 128 bit / 64 MB (a very solid card), and eventually to a GeForce 3 Ti200 (another massive jump in performance, particularly for high resolutions).

As for the FPU performance, never tested it myself, but I would expect the Athlon to have at least double the FPU performance of a K6-2. These tests on Anandtech are probably good indicators of rough FPU performance.

About Evolva (2000 game) I only tried the demo back then but I remember it as a colourful strange but interesting game. Never played it in decades, but I think to remember someone talking about supporting the T&L as a new feature.

About the "hw jumps" oh well from a K6-2 to a Athlon 1333 it sure is a big jump! But I think I did a long jump too switching from the 80386SX-20 on Win 3.1 to the K6-2 350Mhz on Win 98. 😁 But the S3 Trio3D the computer came with, destroyed what might have been the biggest next-gen jump ever done. 😁

Reply 124 of 128, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, Evolva has T&L and also DOT3 Bump mapping, which is supported by all GeForce cards. Potentially could run decently on K6-III.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 125 of 128, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Putas wrote on 2021-07-01, 17:19:

Durons weren't great overclockers until Applebread.

I have to disagree. The original Spitfire Duron would usually overclock very well. Especially with a little voltage bump and adequate cooling. Not as crazy as the Celeron 300A but still very impressive.

Reply 126 of 128, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-07-02, 10:16:

Yes, Evolva has T&L and also DOT3 Bump mapping, which is supported by all GeForce cards. Potentially could run decently on K6-III.

So I remembered it right and I was thinking to another supported feature and that was the DOT3 bump mapping exactly. In fact, the game graphic was quite good. I think back then beside some few games only 3DMark2000 and the Geforce "tree" tech demo supported T&L but still was an important feature. 😀

Reply 127 of 128, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hehe most t&l games anyway will be too slow on a K6.
At least the q3 engine based games will benefit a bit from it.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 128 of 128, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I always find G450 + Voodoo 2 SLI to be a great combination for PCI only fast K6-2 systems; it would probably work well here as well.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.