VOGONS

First post, by dragonkn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I ordered PC pentum II 233 mhz with Geforce 2 mx 100/200 AGP.
Motherboard Gigabyte ga686lx4
I want to install dos and play dos games 1992-1996

Is this card decent for playing dos games or pentium II is too slow for this card?
Should i find older gpu?

Thanks for help

Reply 1 of 14, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you want to play dos games from 1992-1996 it really doesn't matter, almost any videocard will be enough (if it has a decent amount of VRAM). There are only a few dos games that use 3d acceleration, almost all use glide api, so you won't be able to run them, but the normal version will run perfectly.

Reply 3 of 14, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Heh. I just built. Mmx233 on the weekend with a gf4 mx400 (basically the same thing). Works fine. Make sure you get setmul and phils starter pack so you can slow that cpu down to 286 speeds for early dos games.

And you are obviously new to this so I will just say you should be thinking about the sound card more than video card, and the ESS audiodrive is the best cheap pick of them all.

Reply 5 of 14, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The latest is 1.24 or something ....there is a thread here which is it's official page essentially. You might also want to consider getting a sdcard/ide adapter to save the hassle of a real hdd. Easy to take out and copy files from another modern computer. A gotek floppy emulator would complete the package.

Reply 8 of 14, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes and (I believe) no.

Setmul talks directly to the cpu and does not depend on the motherboard chipset (I think). So long as the cpu is supported, basically a k6-2/3+, via c3 or a Pentium mmx.

Reply 9 of 14, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use mostly Geforce MX cards in my P3 AGP ISA DOS rigs, it has sutch a good VGA compadibility, and are so common, affordable, low power.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 10 of 14, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GeForce2 MX is probably the cheapest and most compatible AGP card you can use for DOS right after TNT2 M64.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 11 of 14, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

GeForce2 MX is probably the cheapest and most compatible AGP card you can use for DOS right after TNT2 M64.

TNT2 is older, has more or less the same performance, but runs hotter and draws more power.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 12 of 14, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyberdyne wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

TNT2 is older, has more or less the same performance, but runs hotter and draws more power.

Much, much cheaper. Has better compatibility with some games like Incoming etc and some DOS modes.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 13 of 14, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd never consider Geforce for playing anything 90s particularly for the slow palette handling in Windows. For example, a lot of the "Dosbox is slow!!" threads have been made on Geforces. The issue runs deep down to the earlier detonators.

I'm thinking about Windows 9X as a DOS-only P2 machine with a 2000+ class video card is not a realistic scenario at all.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 14 of 14, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

I'd never consider Geforce for playing anything 90s particularly for the slow palette handling in Windows. For example, a lot of the "Dosbox is slow!!" threads have been made on Geforces. The issue runs deep down to the earlier detonators.

I'm thinking about Windows 9X as a DOS-only P2 machine with a 2000+ class video card is not a realistic scenario at all.

Hi there, what do you mean by "...2000+ class video card...not a realistic at all"? Compatibility? Or what something else?

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.