VOGONS

First post, by Darwiniandude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi folks. I’m the lucky owner of a new (to me) 5151 monitor, 5150 PC, fitted with original MDA card. No signal on monitor. I’m trying to work out if the monitor or the card has failed. My question at the moment is can anyone identify the attached CGA type card, and the jumpers, I’m wondering if it has a hercules or monochrome mode I can use with the 5151.

Back story / diagnosis:
I’ve read 5151 can be killed by CGA signals, which is why i’ve not just pluged it in and fiddled with jumper settings
My MDA card in the PC is slighty bent, it could be the card which has failed.
I’ve read the 5151 won’t display a raster or any output at all without a valid sync signal, so it is possible my blank ‘dead’ monitor works. Fuse is ok, and I can hear a hum when power is applied, but no CRT noises. (no static etc like on some)
I have installed a VGA card i borrowed, jumpered the motherboard acordingly, and the PC works. Even without doing this i can type in DOS and make the PC speaker beep etc. The PC works. The only unknown is if the video card or monitor is at fault. If the monitor works i want a Hercules card. If not, i want to fix the monitor and get a Hercules card. If i can’t fix it, only then do i want some other sort of card in there. But really want the 5151 working.

1ACE3E52-E12C-46CC-A99D-ADF5DE51ED8E.jpeg
Filename
1ACE3E52-E12C-46CC-A99D-ADF5DE51ED8E.jpeg
File size
420.09 KiB
Views
File comment
my unknown cga type card
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi and welcome to Vogons! 😀

I don't know for sure what to recommend, but I think you could test the CGA card by attaching a TV to the composite output (upper RCA/Cinch connector).
If you get a proper picture, it likely is in CGA mode. If you don't, it might run in MDA/Hercules mode. Anyway, it's just an idea. 😀

Also, the pins in the upper right could be meant for lightpen (CGA) and internal video output.
Again, just an idea here. Without a datasheet or a set of tools / an osciloscope, it's hard to say.

Good luck &
best regrads,
Jo22

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 5, by Darwiniandude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some great ideas there. I have a few Commodore monitors which can handle CGA (1084’s) - I never thought that the composite output would show the wrong signal if the card was set to Hercules or MDA if possible - that’s a great idea.
I do have a scope but I haven’t used it, but I could work that out and use it to look for the 18 ish kHz MDA sync signal rather than the 15khz ish CGA sync signal.
Thanks! Two great things to try I hadn’t thought of 😀

Also I’m very pleased this site exists and is named as it is, being a big Douglas Adams fan and into retro computing. Unsure how I managed to avoid this site for so long 😀

Reply 3 of 5, by Benedikt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Darwiniandude wrote:

I’m wondering if it has a hercules or monochrome mode I can use with the 5151.

The two HM48416AP-15 chips on your card are RAM chips with 16384 4-bit words, each. That means it's a 16KiB card, which rules out Hercules support.
It does have a crystal, though, which could indicate MDA support, since ordinary CGA cards typically used the 14.3181818MHz oscillator signal from the ISA bus.

Is the output pin that would carry the monochrome signal connected to anything?

Reply 5 of 5, by Benedikt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Alright! That does indicate that it is indeed a hybrid card.
Is there anything else on there that identifies the board and/or manufacturer, like e.g. an FCC ID?
The problem is that graphics chipsets by at least half a dozen different manufacturers came in these rectangular 100-VQFP packages.

Can you show us the back side of the board?