VOGONS

First post, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently bought this card "new", and I thought I would share my unboxing experience. CGA cards are not the sexiest thing in retro computing, but it is an original IBM component with official packing, which some people might find interesting.

About five or six of these went on ebay recently and I snagged one for my XT machine!

This looks like it was stored in the warehouse. The box shows obvious damage from the heat. Still unmistakably IBM gray though.

p15UZGF.jpg

CGA Card with RF modulator

sq9TyzC.jpg

Sticker claims manufacturing date of 1989. This is pretty late for a CGA card.

oDIyAa0.jpg

I broke the seal on the box before I took this picture. The manual and documentation is still shrink wrapped.

hPpj8nI.jpg

Picture of the pristine manual.

nzg15Y8.jpg

Manual for the graphics cards. Three ring style with a binding.

nprFFL7.jpg?1

Information on dip switches for XT and 5150. Pages are labeled 1983.

fLf20YP.jpg

There were two version of the installation manual for different models of computers.

JkZ3lg5.jpg?1

More reference material.

C2619Jn.jpg
huKwS9O.jpg
wM7zf51.jpg

Finally, the card itself. Opening up the box.

GYW7Crd.jpg

In the anti static bag.

zOY0FCR.jpg
Z3loN1p.jpg

The sticker sealing the bag.
ZNB8Jwr.jpg

Card is huge. All the chips are placed on what would normally be the underside of the card. The PCB is cut out so that hugs either side of the ISA slot. The card has a fresh PCB smell 😎

v5zxJqf.jpg?1

RGB and RF Modulator
7rPttXb.jpg

The PCB had some markings in what looks like fine point sharpie. I don't know if this was inventory taken later or if it came out of the factory like this.

78jjoMr.jpg?1

Picture of two of the larger chips.

J0MLyT7.jpg?1
ZAnIhtB.jpg?1

Just for fun, an ATI rage pro for reference.

0s8OC7G.jpg?1

That's it! Hope you enjoyed!

My XT is current being repaired so I can't actually test it yet 😒 . I'll update later when I get running. For a while I be using an old TV with RF until I can get an RGBi to VGA adapter.

Reply 3 of 16, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cool. Late production too '89. EGA had been and gone and VGA was the new kid on the block.

The top of the box clearly states RF.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 4 of 16, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"though an RF modulator" is the crucial bit, the card has none on it (you cannot see any resonant circuits there for example).

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 5 of 16, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unopened&sealed hardware like this is an investment just like old wine. No way I would ever open it but that's just me.
There are plenty of used hardware to choose from.
An unopened IBM CGA card is a rarity.

Reply 7 of 16, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The RF modulator connects to the header on the top of the card, above the composite.
It's basically the same composite signal. The IBM 5155 uses this header to connect the internal monitor.
I'm not sure if IBM never sold the RF modulator itself, but there may have been third-party options.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 8 of 16, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scali wrote:

The RF modulator connects to the header on the top of the card, above the composite.
It's basically the same composite signal. The IBM 5155 uses this header to connect the internal monitor.
I'm not sure if IBM never sold the RF modulator itself, but there may have been third-party options.

Thanks everyone for clearing that up! I can see some headers on the top of the PCB. I'll try composite first once I get it installed and running.

Miphee wrote:

Unopened&sealed hardware like this is an investment just like old wine. No way I would ever open it but that's just me.
There are plenty of used hardware to choose from.
An unopened IBM CGA card is a rarity.

I can understand that sentiment. I am not a collector myself - I intend to use the hardware I buy. I just happened to come across this at a time when I was already looking for a used CGA card.

At least by taking pictures of it everyone can experience it a little bit. This is the first and probably last sealed in box vintage hardware I'll ever buy.

Reply 9 of 16, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Miphee wrote:

Unopened&sealed hardware like this is an investment just like old wine.

No. Wine gets better with age (if stored correctly), while unopened hardware just dies eventually without you even knowing. What's the point of having sealed hardware that you can not even enjoy looking at? (let alone using)

Believe it or not, but almost nothing is really worth more when sealed compared to opened but mint. Games mainly, but that's it almost.

Reply 10 of 16, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mothergoose729 wrote:

I can understand that sentiment. I am not a collector myself - I intend to use the hardware I buy. I just happened to come across this at a time when I was already looking for a used CGA card.

At least by taking pictures of it everyone can experience it a little bit. This is the first and probably last sealed in box vintage hardware I'll ever buy.

That's cool, we are different that's all.

Reply 11 of 16, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I also got a NOS IBM CGA in 2015 - it did not stay sealed for long and it is inside my Hyundai XT system since then 😁

M3NaqwSm.jpg pqXtUSUm.jpg

iNOvTDJm.jpg IeqjTlEm.jpg

plzZdEmm.jpg XqBUhSTm.jpg

I got it for composite goodness 😊 😊 😊

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 12 of 16, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

No. Wine gets better with age (if stored correctly), while unopened hardware just dies eventually without you even knowing. What's the point of having sealed hardware that you can not even enjoy looking at? (let alone using)

Believe it or not, but almost nothing is really worth more when sealed compared to opened but mint. Games mainly, but that's it almost.

I disagree. An unopened box of hardware or even software is much more valuable to me as an investment than a used part. Simple as that. Many others think the same way. It also has a huge advantage: it hasn't been touched or modified in any way so I can count on it being in 100% original condition. That original condition is what makes it valuable. As an investment, nothing more. Imagine selling this untouched IBM CGA card after 50 years or so. Prices only go up for scratched up and dusty IBM parts. But saying that the price of a used item is the same as a brand new unopened item is nonsense to me.
Yes, some people want to use them so they go for the cheaper used ones. Others want to display them behind glass so they go for the clean ones. And some people are buying them unopened and keep them closed until the prices go up much-much later. Then sell them. No point in denying the point in that.

Reply 13 of 16, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think it boils down to this:
There are people who want the complete item with packaging and all but they want to use it. Those are better off buying an open box with recently tested hardware.
On the other hand there are people who don't care about using things - they want the complete and unopened box. I don't understand this but I don't have to. 😉 Better have that box x-rayed though - you might end up with a resealed piece of plywood. 🤣

Reply 14 of 16, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mothergoose729 wrote:

CGA cards are not the sexiest thing in retro computing

LIES! 🤣

Very nice find, and I'm actually surprised to learn that IBM was still manufacturing CGA boards in 1989. The date codes on the visible chips seem to be 87 at the latest, but even that is still newer than any others I remember seeing. (I have one early-type and one late-type CGA, and the latter is from late '86 - mine also has the slightly-incompatible "-P" revision of the MC6845 chip).

The RF modulator thing was simply due to limitations of contemporary TV sets. IBM certainly never sold one, and most people seemed to use existing devices made earlier for other home computers, like the SUP'R'MOD .

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 15 of 16, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VileRancour wrote:

The RF modulator thing was simply due to limitations of contemporary TV sets.

I think the reason why the RF modulator was not sold was because of FCC regulation.
These devices tend to generate quite a bit of high-frequency interference, which is why they're always housed inside a metal case.
Getting the IBM PC FCC-certified with the RF modulator installed would have been more difficult (and in fact the PC itself may have not worked 100% with such a device installed, the way it is designed with the motherboard and expansion cards all open and bare).

If it is sold separately, and installed after-market, then regulations no longer apply.
Since many 70s/80s game consoles and home computers do have the RF modulator built-in, it should have been possible, but for some reason IBM didn't go there, not even with the PCjr.
Fun fact is taht the early Commodore Amigas also didn't have the RF modulator built-in. It was a separate module that plugged into the RGB-port. Possibly for the same reason.
Later models had it integrated.

Since IBM PCs were mostly used professionally, and mostly with RGBI monitors, I suppose hardly anyone ever installed an RF modulator.
But you can still buy RF modulators today, so it would be fun to see what happens: https://www.amazon.com/RCA-Compact-RF-Modulat … A/dp/B0014KKV7W

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 16 of 16, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Miphee wrote:

[...]

I disagree. An unopened box of hardware or even software is much more valuable to me as an investment than a used part. Simple as that. Many others think the same way. It also has a huge advantage: it hasn't been touched or modified in any way so I can count on it being in 100% original condition. That original condition is what makes it valuable.

Ever seen what ~40 years does to capacitors? Electrolytics dry out, tantalum caps silently die and explode as soon as you power them up.

You get the enjoyment of something that no-one else has enjoyed, but don't delude yourself it's in the same condition as when new.

That said, I once picked up a battered old IBM CGA card in a big lot. More than 35 years old but still worked. These things were well built. Couldn't say the same for the 5170 innards I had, looked beautiful on the outside, but insides literally started smoking when powered on. Dead tantalums of course...