VOGONS

First post, by yakacm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys, just wanted to introduce myself as I have just joined the forum, and see if I can get a bit of help. I have just finished a socket 478 build, I am running Windows XP Pro, the build is using an Asus P4s533-VM motherboard I have 1Gb ram, Pentium P4 think it's a 2.66 Ghz, I have a Creative Audigy 2 sound card, and a couple of different graphics cards to choose from, an Nvidia 7800GS and an Nvidia 6600GT. Now the issue I have is that no matter which card I use I am getting terrible graphics artefacts in games. The games I have tried so far are Far Cry, Half Life2, Call of Duty 4:Modern Warfare and Halo, most are playable apart from Far Cry, and the all have the same type of Artefacts, which is missing polygons, say on faces there are triangles missing from the faces, and also there is a lot of what looks like string coming from things, say like when a character lifts their arm up there will be what looks like a string joining his arm to his side. All the graphics issues are all very similar in each game and the same which ever graphics card I use, I have tried using different drivers both old and new and nothing seems to change. As the issues are the same whichever card I use I am thinking it's maybe the motherboard, both graphics cards are AGP 8X and the mobo is AGP 4x, I know AGP 8 x is supposed to be backwards compatible with 4X, but has anyone had any experience like this, or have any ideas I can try.

Thanks in advance Yakacm...

Reply 2 of 4, by yakacm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
yakacm wrote:

Hi guys, just wanted to introduce myself as I have just joined the forum, and see if I can get a bit of help. I have just finished a socket 478 build, I am running Windows XP Pro, the build is using an Asus P4s533-VM motherboard I have 1Gb ram, Pentium P4 think it's a 2.66 Ghz, I have a Creative Audigy 2 sound card, and a couple of different graphics cards to choose from, an Nvidia 7800GS and an Nvidia 6600GT. Now the issue I have is that no matter which card I use I am getting terrible graphics artefacts in games. The games I have tried so far are Far Cry, Half Life2, Call of Duty 4:Modern Warfare and Halo, most are playable apart from Far Cry, and the all have the same type of Artefacts, which is missing polygons, say on faces there are triangles missing from the faces, and also there is a lot of what looks like string coming from things, say like when a character lifts their arm up there will be what looks like a string joining his arm to his side. All the graphics issues are all very similar in each game and the same which ever graphics card I use, I have tried using different drivers both old and new and nothing seems to change. As the issues are the same whichever card I use I am thinking it's maybe the motherboard, both graphics cards are AGP 8X and the mobo is AGP 4x, I know AGP 8 x is supposed to be backwards compatible with 4X, but has anyone had any experience like this, or have any ideas I can try.

Thanks in advance Yakacm...

Guys worked it out, i used an MX440 which is VGA only and it work perfectly, so I put my 7800 GS back in and connected it via VGA and it also works perfectly also, I am guessing I have the wrong type of DVI lead, as I know there are a load of variations, either that or the dvi socket on my monitor is FUBAR'ed, I did try a couple of DVI leads and it was always the same, and I do have another monitor with DVI so I might try that. BTW apologies if this was in the wrong plavce, I guess it would have been netter in the graphics cards section.

Reply 3 of 4, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For the future, note that old hardware and driver/configuration questions should be asked in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android As per the pinned topic in this forum: "This forum is for running old Windows games on NEW (supported) versions of Windows"

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers