VOGONS

First post, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently bought a Voodoo 5 5500 card and I am having some issue with the room in my case.
Firstly my case is a base not a tower, my reason for this is back in the 90s a base pc is what I had and remember well saving space with the monitor sitting ontop of it.
I bought this case from Ebay ( https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC-CASE-RETRO-ACM3 … ge/264378513979 ) because it has everything I need, but even after cutting away some of the extra metal for the floopy drive bay so the card will fit..its still not enough.

With just the floppy drive or floppy + 750mb Zip drive in place, the drive and cables are just slightly pushing against the end of the card.
I am not sure if this will be an issue or not but its a Voodoo 5 so I don't want to damage it 😖
If I have to get a new case then so be it..but I am trying to keep it all 90's and in the UK old cases that has the drive spaces I need are hard to find 🙁

Reply 2 of 4, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
STX wrote:

Picture of "slightly pushing"?

Well the first picture is just the card against the ZIP/floppy drives with no connectors attached
Second picture is with just the ZIP power plugged in which is just touched the back of the card
Final picture is everything plugged in including floppy cable which seams to be the main card "pusher"

You can see where I cut away the metal to make the card fit in the firs place 🤣 .. But Iv had a look online for base cases and there is none with the drive days I require...as for "retro" cases i could only fine this case .. thought would be apreciated incase having this card touching stuff is just to much of a risk https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Beige-ATX- … 353.m1438.l2649

Attachments

• 72323058_393006748276799_939293473436073984_n.jpg
    Filename
    72323058_393006748276799_939293473436073984_n.jpg
    File size
    790.41 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Not touching anything ^^
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 2.jpg
    Filename
    2.jpg
    File size
    39.98 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Connector just about touching it
    File license
  • 1.jpg
    Filename
    1.jpg
    File size
    863.92 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Being pushed a little with all connectors.
    File license

Reply 4 of 4, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote:

As long as aurflow isn't too restricted and it isn't touching anything conductive it should be fine.
But personally I wouldn't be able to tolerate this situation in my pc. 😉

Tbh the most i look at it the more annoyed I am at it, sure it "fits" but the fact its touching other stuff is a bit bothersome considering how old all these parts are.