VOGONS

First post, by Bakersor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys

Proud owner of a Voodoo 5500 here.
Seeing the prices of these cards, I was wondering if a cooling mod is required to prolong the life of my card. I'm a conservative about retro gaming (all the modern 'parts' in my P3 are the fans and the thermal paste) and that is what stops me from just replacing the stock heat sink and fans with something better.

I have no issues with the card and I actually have a PCI slot 80mm fan blowing on the card from right under it. Nothing is crazy hot, but its just my paranoia.

So, you guys recommend this upgrade or not? If so, would you suggest something (like a good chipset cooling kit)?

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 5, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, it is working fine with the stock cooling and considering the fact that 3dfx even thought about passive cooling in the first place should give it a little headroom even. Pointing an extra fan or making sure of a good airflow in the case is never a bad idea, and keep the heatsinks clean and make sure every once in a while that the fans are still spinning and making decent rpm's.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 5 of 5, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
oeuvre wrote:

put a noctua NH-D15 on it

HA!

The V5-5500 I bought new from CompUSA was soon after fitted with a couple nice SS7 heatsinks. Don't have fans on the card as a single 80mm case fan mounted above the card and blowing down on it keeps it nice and cool.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK