VOGONS

First post, by SimonV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For some replaced I ended up with a Trident 8900D-R in my 386sx upgraded with a 50mhz make-it-486, I had an Orchid Fahrenheit 1280 in it that I wanted to put back because ... most of the times if it's about Trident people say they are crap. And then I did a benchmark with 3Dbench ...

14.9 FPS for the Orchid and a whopping 23,8 FPS compared to the Orchid for the Trident ! Is it because of the 32bit ram ? Or just because it's from 1994 and the ORchid from 1991 ? Anyway ... I am happy I did a benchmark.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 6, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Trident's bad reputation mainly comes from the TVGA9000 series. Those were cheap and slow but heavily used by OEMs back then. So many people thought Trident = slow. The 8900D-R was good, so was the TGUI94xx series.

Reply 3 of 6, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SimonV wrote:

Or just because it's from 1994 and the ORchid from 1991 ?

That's the most likely reason.

Anyway, if you want to seriously compare them, then plain VGA benchmark is far from enough.
That Orchid is based on S3 911, ie. accelerator, while TVGA8900 is just a dumb framebuffer.
So, do also some benchmarks in Windows, in various SVGA modes.

I can't read markings on RAMDAC chips, but it's possible the Orchid is better in this area as well.

Bad reputation about Tridents wasn't all about VGA speed, it was also about them being plain framebuffers when all the leaders offered accelerators, and about Tridents usually being coupled with 8bpp RAMDACs when all the leaders offered 24bpp.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 4 of 6, by SimonV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I only use the 486 for some dos gaming and not for windows. Although I can install win3.1 and check things out, I suspect the results of a 1994 card to be not that bad either in Windows ?

So gaming wise I would say the Trident is the better option here ?

I am quite new to dosgaming, so total noob question ... in a DOS vga test the Trident wins but I guess in win3.1 video cards need dedicated drivers installed for them to work as intended in win3.1 ? But what gets accelerated then in Win3.1 ? windows itself ( screens, window dragging etcetere ... ) or also games if they make use of the windows driver ? If only windows use itself gets accelerated with the Orchid making it up to par with the Trident I see very little reason to put it back in there.

Reply 5 of 6, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SimonV wrote:

I suspect the results of a 1994 card to be not that bad either in Windows ?

Very likely.
Between 1991 and 1994, there were radical changes in PC graphics: VLB (1992) and PCI (1993) were introduced, also hardware acceleration and true color became ubiquitous.
I often call that era "the local bus revolution".
Brand new graphics chipsets offered improved speed and other features even on ISA bus.
TVGA8900D still lacks acceleration, but I think I can see TKD8001 RAMDAC on your card - so 24bpp, very good by ISA standards.

I guess in win3.1 video cards need dedicated drivers installed for them to work as intended in win3.1 ?

Yes.

But what gets accelerated then in Win3.1 ? windows itself ( screens, window dragging etcetere ... ) or also games if they make use of the windows driver ?

All Windows software gets accelerated, including games - even though there's few major games for Windows 3.1, vast majority are just simple shareware toys, not really worth mentioning.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.