VOGONS

First post, by Skanque

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Vogons

I recently bought two ASUS V8420S Ti4200, since I apparently cant get enough..

One if "pimped" the other is stock, I was most excited for the stock one, the other was full of flux and thermal paste, so did not have high hoped for that one.. the stock one looked perfect.
But of course the stock one is not displaying a picture and the pimped one, work perfect.. classic karma..
On closer inspection, I noticed a scratch on the stock one, near the AGP interface, I checked for continuity and if there was a short. I could not detect one, but I can't measure where the connection terminates. Or rather I don't know where or how to measure if there is a solid connection.

Whats my next step?

Pictures for inspection:
IMG-8174.jpg
IMG-8173.jpg
IMG-8171.jpg
IMG-8171-2.jpg

Reply 1 of 4, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skanque wrote:

On closer inspection, I noticed a scratch on the stock one, near the AGP interface, I checked for continuity and if there was a short. I could not detect one, but I can't measure where the connection terminates. Or rather I don't know where or how to measure if there is a solid connection.

Press in a sharp needle (I'd reccomend a medical type), where the yellow arrow points on a trace, it will easily penetrate the solder mask without damaging it.

Skanque wrote:

Whats my next step?

If the trace is OK, masure output voltages of the two buck converters on the right side of the card. The good thing is that you have an identical working card to compare voltages to. If the voltages are more or less equal, insert card into PC, that has a PCI card set to be primary and see if it gets detected, maybe its BIOS is simply bricked.

Reply 2 of 4, by Skanque

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SSTV2 wrote:
Skanque wrote:

Press in a sharp needle (I'd reccomend a medical type), where the yellow arrow points on a trace, it will easily penetrate the solder mask without damaging it.

OK, not completely sure how to carry this out and insuring I am measuring on the right termination spot. Would it be easier to find a spot (if any) on the backside of the card that is connected to that trace also?

Skanque wrote:

Whats my next step?

If the trace is OK, masure output voltages of the two buck converters on the right side of the card. The good thing is that you have an identical working card to compare voltages to. If the voltages are more or less equal, insert card into PC, that has a PCI card set to be primary and see if it gets detected, maybe its BIOS is simply bricked.

How do I set the multi-meter to measure this correct? (normally I just check for continuity) and should the card be powered to check this? And which components are the "buck converters" the ones marked 1R0 ?

Thank you for the help!

Reply 4 of 4, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skanque wrote:

OK, not completely sure how to carry this out and insuring I am measuring on the right termination spot. Would it be easier to find a spot (if any) on the backside of the card that is connected to that trace also?

You just have to poke through an insulating coating of the trace (solder mask) using a sharp needle, then measure for continuity between the needle and the AGP pad.

Skanque wrote:

How do I set the multi-meter to measure this correct? (normally I just check for continuity) and should the card be powered to check this? And which components are the "buck converters" the ones marked 1R0 ?

Set MM to volts, card must be powered on, stick ground probe into any of the PSUs molex ground socket and using positive probe, touch the output of a buck converter (el. filter cap or a choke marked 1R0). Google synchronous buck converter's schematics and working principles, you must understand their operation well for such troubleshootings.

Both cards are detected, it means that they have retained at least some functionality. Try to flash BIOS using "nvflash" DOS util., maybe a Windows util. called "nibitor" could also do the trick. Don't forget to make a backup of the original BIOS just in case.