VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For a Super Socket 7 system, is the Banshee a better AGP choice wrt Glide compatibility? I would assume it would be more compatible with Voodoo 1/2 Glide games that would be relevant for the platform?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 6, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One would think that a Voodoo Banshee should be compatible with Voodoo 1/2 Glide games (since it is essentially a Voodoo 2 with one TMU with a higher clock rate combined with a 2D card) but, when I got mine, I still had to install patches for games like Need For Speed III, etc.

However, generally speaking, I think most people would probably recommend a Voodoo 3.

Reply 2 of 6, by STX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't have a Banshee, but from what I've read elsewhere, I'd expect the Banshee to have the same compatibility with the oldest Glide games as the Voodoo3. (The Voodoo3 could've been named "Banshee2" because of their similarities.) I would not expect the Banshee to be able to run any old Glide games that the Voodoo3 cannot run.

Reply 4 of 6, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
STX wrote:

I don't have a Banshee, but from what I've read elsewhere, I'd expect the Banshee to have the same compatibility with the oldest Glide games as the Voodoo3. (The Voodoo3 could've been named "Banshee2" because of their similarities.) I would not expect the Banshee to be able to run any old Glide games that the Voodoo3 cannot run.

Agreed. The two are very similar from that perspective

Reply 5 of 6, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

That's a bummer..

It's not that compatibility is completely broken to older Glide games. Some games might just require an updated patch.