VOGONS

First post, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ehy Gamers,
I have a system with Windows 98 SE and DOS 7, a Pentium 200MMX with 96MB RAM, Creative Soundblaster AWE64 and a Voodoo Banshee from Creative (CT6760) 3D Blaster Voodoo Banshee.

I am really disappointed cause I can't run in DOS games with accelleration active, I am trying Nascar Racing 2 with the 3DFX patch but I can't manage to work.
When I launch Nascar 2 through the nas3dfx.exe file monitor remain black. No logo, no other things.
I don't know if I have to install other drives, from the Creative Website they link only a Windows 98 english version driver that make me have troubles when drivers is loading on Windows and the monitor shut off. So I installed other drivers and now it works, but I have to manage to understand how to make them work on real DOS environment.

I know that here there are a lot of DOS gamers, and expecially with this Voodoo Banshee that someone tells that it is probably the best DOS gaming video card.

But I have to make it work!

Any suggestion?

PS: I already moved the glide2x.ovl in the nascar2 directory, but no results. Monitor remain black.

Computer lover since 1992.
Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.

Reply 1 of 29, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried Screamer Rally, installed on DOS, running SETUP, it found my 3DFX, I set on it, when the games starts then the music comes but the monitor remaing black.

OMG THIS IS SO DIFFICULT. Why I have problems running 3dfx games on DOS????? Where is the problem and how can I resolve it?

This is so frustrating, I really didn't know it was SO difficult in DOS mode make 3dfx running.

I have no words. I hope to make it work, I made a old pc gaming just for this!!!!!

Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.

Reply 2 of 29, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
biessea wrote:

This is so frustrating, I really didn't know it was SO difficult in DOS mode make 3dfx running.

It shouldn't (be that difficult). You are right. The correct settings in the game setup (if necessary) - Launched via the right (3dfx) executable - Glide wrapper present (ovl files) - And off you (theoretically) should go!

If it doesn't work, it could indicate some (physical) problem with the card, itself.
Maybe someone with more 3DFX troubleshooting know-how can chime in with regards to what some bare-bones test could be to run in order to pinpoint the problem.

Reply 3 of 29, by Wolfus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try some no-DOS game with glide support (eg Diablo II). If it runs OK, card should be OK too. DOS games are mostly compatible with V1. Banshee is (if i remember correctly) derived from V2.

Last edited by Wolfus on 2019-11-30, 14:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 29, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If I run Quake 2 from Windows 98SE I can run on 3DFX mode in 800x600 resolution.

This is enough?

I think Nascar Racing 2 with the patch is ok, perhaps I have to try different version of glide2x.ovl version???

I don't know what to do, yodat software is easier to run!

Love beer, too.

Reply 5 of 29, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sounds good. Card seems to work.
As Wolfus already correctly stated, the DOS games are only out-of-the box compatible with V1 cards. If you are going to run them with V2 or Banshee, you probably have to try out several Glide OVLs to find out which ones do work best with the card you have. IIRC I had some success with the more stubborn games by using Glide OVL files that were actually meant for V1 cards (You may miss some graphical features this way, but some games I only managed to get working this way)

Reply 6 of 29, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also try OVL's that are in older driver versions of the Banshee (extract them out of the driver package and place them in the game folder).

Archimedian Dynasty will only run with a 2.50 OVL on my Voodoo 2, for example. On all other versions, it will either lock up the system or freeze after a few minutes.

Also, your Banshee only has one TMU instead of two, which can confuse some games and there's nothing you can do about it, unfortunately. In Archimedian Dynasty I have empty spots on the game levels because some textures are simply not rendered at all. That's the main reason why I don't use it anymore and got a Voodoo 2 instead. Most of my DOS games work, though! 😎

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 7 of 29, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, so the only way seems to be change the .ovl file.
Only the glide2x isn't it?
And put it in the game folder sure?
Basically I will find the one that works for every game and put it in the game folder?

Love beer, too.

Reply 8 of 29, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's exactly it.

I have a Voodoo 2, and I have the same problem with Screamer 3DFX and Carmageddon Splat Pack.

I have another system with a 3DFX Voodoo 1, but I didn't bother to try DOS glide games there.

On both systems, Windows Glide games work fine. Well, except Interstate '76 (hardware accelerated version) and MechWarrior 2 3DFX (missions don't run), but I can run them inside PCem, so I gave up...

Bascially, it's not a problem with the cards. Some games just need a lot of troubleshooting.

Reply 9 of 29, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There were past threads discussing different versions of GLIDE2X.OVL that the recent versions, even for Voodoo1/Voodoo2, did not work under real DOS, but they worked under Win98 DOS box. It applied for the latest 3Dfx Win9x driver for Vooodoo1 3.01 and Diamond Monster3D version 4.10.01.1600. Fortunately for Voodoo1/Voodoo2, there were older versions which worked.

For Voodoo Banshee, I think you best hope is to run your DOS games under Win98 DOS box. Make sure you are using the GLIDE2X.OVL that comes with your official driver. Earlier version of GLIDE2X.OVL for Voodoo1/Voodoo2 will not work for Banshee. If your official driver does not come with GLIDE2X.OVL, then you may try your luck with the 3Dfx Voodoo Banshee reference driver. Make sure you do not have multiple copies of GLIDE2X.OVL scattered around that may be picked up by the game instead of the designated copy for Banshee. Do a "DIR /s" to search for all GLIDE2X.OVL and delete them, except for the copy installed by Voodoo Banshee Win9x driver.

Reply 10 of 29, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Wolfus wrote:

Banshee is (if i remember correctly) derived from V2.

Banshee's derived from V1, same goes for the V3. V2's the odd duck with the crapload of fifo/sli registers/different filter.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 11 of 29, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh GOd, I didn't know it is so complicated.

I want to run games on DOS, no dos mode or dos box or emulation.

Real DOS environment. The Voodoo Banshee was a card from that years, it's incredibile that is not compatibile with DOS cmon.

It is so difficult, mine one is the Blaster 3D Voodoo Banshee CT6760, if I go to the american support site of Creative they link me to download drivers that doesn't work on Windows 98SE, cause I think is for Windows 95/98 english version.

So I downloaded in one other site the reference 1.04.00k drivers (an archive of about 7mb that has included 3dfx tools).

And Windows is working fine, for dos probably I have to find the glide2x.ovl from my original Creative Blaster 3d?

Love beer, too.

Reply 13 of 29, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
biessea wrote:

I want to run games on DOS, no dos mode or dos box or emulation.

Win98SE DOS box != DOSBox != emulation. Some late DOS games actually run better this way (eg. PYL, Nascar Racing 2 etc.), with the benefits of 32-bit protected mode drivers for CD-ROM and mouse. And the VxD drivers provide seamless I/O supports for sound, especially for PCI sound cards SB emulation.

Reply 14 of 29, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Banshee does not support 512x384. GTA needs to be hex edited to remove the resolution or configured first with another voodoo card before running with the Banshee. Same applies to all other games that rely on that resolution.

Reply 15 of 29, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I tried Screamer 2 with the .exe file for the Voodoo 2 (or banshee) videocard.

But as always, when I start the program the system remain in a black screen and I have to reset.

It is possibile that EVERY Dos game I'm trying remaing in BLACK SCREEN??? I find it impossibile, I begin to think it depends from other.

I read in Philcomputerlabs site that he mention about the memory of DOS, that some games stuck when DOS run in EMS, and they need the XMS memory to run properly, or BLACK SCREEN appear.

Can this have some sense? How can I run DOS in XMS mode?

PS: I specify that when I power on my old PC it runs directly in DOS mode (I edited the file that make WIndows 98SE boot, I think the DOSINI).

Love beer, too.

Reply 16 of 29, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you really have to have pure DOS, then I am afraid that your choice of Voodoo Banshee isn't all that great for compatibility. Voodoo1 is the best and guaranteed compatibility. Voodoo Rush and Voodoo2 come next. Banshee/V3+ onwards are problematic. Searching around, there were past discussion threads of getting TR1 DOS for Banshee/V3+.

Tomb Raider inventory hang with Voodoo3 3000 and Glide patch
Voodoo Banshee + Tomb Raider DOS

The key is to find that *magic* GLIDE2X.OVL for your card that works in pure DOS. Philscomputerlab claimed to have one for V3 and he got TR1 Voodoo Rush patch working on V3 in pure DOS. You may want to check with him if he is still able to replicate such success and obtain his version of GLIDE2X.OVL to try out on your Banshee.

Otherwise, Win98SE DOS mode is more likely and easier to get it working. DOS Glide games will never need EMS memory, they have to be DOS4GW protected-mode EXE to be able to make use of Glide APIs for 3D acceleration.

Reply 17 of 29, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kjliew wrote:
If you really have to have pure DOS, then I am afraid that your choice of Voodoo Banshee isn't all that great for compatibility. […]
Show full quote

If you really have to have pure DOS, then I am afraid that your choice of Voodoo Banshee isn't all that great for compatibility. Voodoo1 is the best and guaranteed compatibility. Voodoo Rush and Voodoo2 come next. Banshee/V3+ onwards are problematic. Searching around, there were past discussion threads of getting TR1 DOS for Banshee/V3+.

Tomb Raider inventory hang with Voodoo3 3000 and Glide patch
Voodoo Banshee + Tomb Raider DOS

The key is to find that *magic* GLIDE2X.OVL for your card that works in pure DOS. Philscomputerlab claimed to have one for V3 and he got TR1 Voodoo Rush patch working on V3 in pure DOS. You may want to check with him if he is still able to replicate such success and obtain his version of GLIDE2X.OVL to try out on your Banshee.

Otherwise, Win98SE DOS mode is more likely and easier to get it working. DOS Glide games will never need EMS memory, they have to be DOS4GW protected-mode EXE to be able to make use of Glide APIs for 3D acceleration.

Thanks a lot for the reply, so I will contact Phil.

I'm surprised to know that we doesn't came in this great forum. Or perhaps it is. Who knows?

Love beer, too.

Reply 18 of 29, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

sorry but...how can I contact Phil??? I search and I don't find him here on forum.
On his site isn't a "contact flag" or a mail, I don't know where to find him!!!

Love beer, too.

Reply 19 of 29, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

EDIT: It seems you must copy the glide2x.ovl file to the games directory which is the same as what is in your Windows directory. Version 1.03-DX6 of the Voodoo3 driver seems to work fine with the Voodoo Rush patch.

You could also check out other's suggestion. Extract the GLIDE2X.OVL from the exact mentioned V3 driver or choose the Banshee driver with similar date marked/DX version from 3Dfx archive