Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
anthony wrote:
Arctic wrote:
@Anthony DOS 3dfx games came with a "driver" for the Voodoo1 (sometimes also rush and voodoo2) that "communicates" with the card […]
Show full quote

@Anthony
DOS 3dfx games came with a "driver" for the Voodoo1 (sometimes also rush and voodoo2) that "communicates" with the card directly.
For example GTA 1 or the Glide Tomb Raider version.

I dont know if you can "manipulate" any variables in these cases.

just cheked both games, and either of them obeying sst variables according to glide log

seriously, i'd like to see example where 4mb tmu mem will be an issue to run game

I couldnt get GTA1 to work with the Miro HiScore 6MB (Voodoo1) but I didn't change the SST variables.

Reply 21 of 25, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay guys, I finally found a v2 with 12x 1mb (v2 1000). It came from a scrapper and had some terminal damage on the chips (legs) and both vga ports were broken off. Ram chips seemed fine so I had a perfect donor for the mod!

Used a heatgun to simply take all the ramchips off both cards and because my soldering isn't great I used a heatgun (and a lot of patience! to allign them perfectly again) to put the 1mb chips on the v1.

The card is still recognised and even tries to run the direct x diagnostics and the voodoo tab is present in display properties. However, the spinning cube is completely garbled and unrecognisable but at least it tries to do something.
At dxdiag it reports 5 mb of ram.... other benchis or games simply refuse to start, even the glide ones under windows.

So my question is: Are the chips really pin compatible and do I simply have bad connections? (most probably...)

Can you destroy the chips by using a heatgun (had it on low)?

Or do I need some mod to make these chips work on the v1?

Do I need an old or latest drivers? Or a third party one?

And finally: If I can't get it to work then should the card work with only 4 pieces of 1mb chips and if so, which locations do they need to be? That way I can try and see if it all functions by taking 4 chips off and go from there...

Thanx!

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 22 of 25, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
meljor wrote on 2020-02-24, 16:58:

Okay guys, I finally found a v2 with 12x 1mb (v2 1000).

I'm not sure the chips are compatible. So far on standard V1 I've only ever seen the piggyback mod where you stack two 512kb chips and solder wires from TMU/FBI to RAS pins of the upper chip.
What chips were on the donor card? I think the V2 1000 uses v53c819hk27?
I have attatched the pinout of both original and 1m chips (512k left, 1m right) and marked differences in the picture for easy reference.
To find out wether the PCB accepts the chips check for continuity with a multimeter between RAS pins on TMU/FBI and RAM solder pads. You need both RAS0 and RAS1 to be connected for 8mb.
Also Vss and Vcc are only used once less in the original chip. I don't know how the new chip is wired internally and wether it needs the extra ones or can do without. I guess it needs both though. Check on your card wether Vss nd Vcc are present on both locations and if not run a botch wire.

Can you destroy the chips by using a heatgun (had it on low)?

Of course you can. What heat setting did you use and for how long?

Do I need an old or latest drivers? Or a third party one?

All 3dfx V1 drivers should work.

Attachments

• RAM.jpg
    Filename
    RAM.jpg
    File size
    62.71 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 23 of 25, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

now I want to know how the story ends

PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16
PC#3: 386DX-40 | 32MB | CL-GD5434 | SB Pro | GUS MAX | PAS16

Think you know your games music? Show us: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37532

Reply 24 of 25, by CodeAsm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
schlang wrote on 2022-03-07, 23:36:

now I want to know how the story ends

Ha, me too. Piggyback a ic isnt too hard, but getting a wire on a tqfp can be tricky (ive had bridges myself on other mods).

I like to program and solder stuff. reverse engineer and student is what i am