VOGONS

Voodoo 5 5500 PCI

Topic actions

First post, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So digging around in my old hardware boxes I came across what I think is a Voodoo 5 5500 PCI version.

I'm going to test it out in a minute in a PC and I'll post some pictures of the card.

Anyway I searched on ebay and there's 2 listings for V5 5500's and both are well over $500 CAD. That seems crazy, are people actually paying that kind of money for these cards?

EDIT - I remember this card now, after putting it in two motherboards I get beep codes and no video output.

EDIT 2 - Found the bracket and put it back on the card. There's a bit of rust on there and on the VGA port, also the gold PCI connector "fingers" look pretty worn. Ah well, back in the box o' junk it goes.

Attachments

• v5.jpg
    Filename
    v5.jpg
    File size
    559.47 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by pete8475 on 2019-12-30, 23:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 22, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think you give up too easy.
These have been showing up with bad caps more and more often and beep codes might mean a bad RAM chip.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 2 of 22, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PCBONEZ wrote:

I think you give up too easy.
These have been showing up with bad caps more and more often and beep codes might mean a bad RAM chip.

A bad RAM chip? As in on the Voodoo card?

The system ram in both systems I put the card in is definitely good, 48hrs+ on memtest86.

Also both those machines work just fine with their original AGP or PCI graphics cards.

Reply 3 of 22, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm talking about the RAM on the card.
Bad RAM on a video card can cause beeps too.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 4 of 22, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PCBONEZ wrote:

I'm talking about the RAM on the card.
Bad RAM on a video card can cause beeps too.

That's what I thought you meant, just making sure.

Nothing I can do about those ram chips being bad though, so back in the bin for now.

Reply 5 of 22, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bad caps on Voodoo cards are showing up pretty often here and that type isn't that hard to change out.
A card worth that much, I'd at least try. But it's your card.

Reply 6 of 22, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you are just going to throw it in your scrap bin... then why not at least offer it to somebody for the price of shipping?

You could also probably get a bit for it on eBay even with it not working.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 22, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

If you are just going to throw it in your scrap bin... then why not at least offer it to somebody for the price of shipping?

You could also probably get a bit for it on eBay even with it not working.

Guys it's not going in the bin to be forgotten forever. I'm extremely sick right now, in a few weeks after the holidays I'll order replacement caps and take a stab at it with my buddies solder station. Right now I'm avoiding human contact so I don't spread this plague. Lol

Reply 8 of 22, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay I get it now. Thanks for clarifying.
Get well soon!

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2019-12-25, 09:44. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 9 of 22, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:

I've got the feeling that the whole thread only exists for the reason to get offers for the card via PM, bypassing the forum rules... 😠

Reply 11 of 22, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

I've got the feeling that the whole thread only exists for the reason to get offers for the card via PM, bypassing the forum rules... 😠

Yeah... no.

I am not selling it.

Reply 12 of 22, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

Stealth for sale threads are now a thing? Lol

If that's what people think this post was about then someone please go ahead and delete this thread. I was genuinely surprised to see those stupid dollar amounts on ebay. The card is NOT for sale and will NOT EVER be for sale.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Reply 13 of 22, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pete8475 wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

Stealth for sale threads are now a thing? Lol

If that's what people think this post was about then someone please go ahead and delete this thread. I was genuinely surprised to see those stupid dollar amounts on ebay. The card is NOT for sale and will NOT EVER be for sale.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Merry Christmas and good for you about not selling the card.

I still have the V5-5500 AGP I bought new in the store.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 14 of 22, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think it's more that whole "worth money" thing. People usually ask around here what something is worth so they know what to sell it for. There's literally no value in a card you're not selling. It's worth $0, since that's what you're going to get for it if you don't sell it. 😀 And yeah, Voodoo 5s are worth bank, and people do fish for offers to get around forum rules. No worries, it's just a misunderstanding.

Good luck getting that one back to working condition -- it's a good board and worth the trouble. Be careful tho, and don't punch too far above your weight. If you're not comfortable with reworking SMD caps, find someone to help you out. You can undo a certain amount of damage, but best not to break anything at all if you can help it!

Reply 15 of 22, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SirNickity wrote on 2019-12-30, 20:36:

I think it's more that whole "worth money" thing. People usually ask around here what something is worth so they know what to sell it for. There's literally no value in a card you're not selling. It's worth $0, since that's what you're going to get for it if you don't sell it. 😀 And yeah, Voodoo 5s are worth bank, and people do fish for offers to get around forum rules. No worries, it's just a misunderstanding.

Good luck getting that one back to working condition -- it's a good board and worth the trouble. Be careful tho, and don't punch too far above your weight. If you're not comfortable with reworking SMD caps, find someone to help you out. You can undo a certain amount of damage, but best not to break anything at all if you can help it!

Fair enough, thread title updated.

Reply 16 of 22, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Perhaps the version you got has an Apple firmware? I remember reflashing a Voodoo 5500 PCI which I bought second hand in 2003 for my friend's i810e system. It had an Apple firmware, and so did not work out of the box in a PC. I first had to reflash. It ran great afterwards, but a few months later my friend dumped the pc without telling me...

Reply 17 of 22, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
flupke11 wrote on 2020-01-05, 20:40:

Perhaps the version you got has an Apple firmware? I remember reflashing a Voodoo 5500 PCI which I bought second hand in 2003 for my friend's i810e system. It had an Apple firmware, and so did not work out of the box in a PC. I first had to reflash. It ran great afterwards, but a few months later my friend dumped the pc without telling me...

Hmm definite possibility, I have no idea where this card came from.

Reply 19 of 22, by Byrd

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Apple flashed cards did come with DVI, but it's not unheard of for the PCI only cards to be flashed to Mac. Either way, it'll be good to check if the firmware is OK regardless.