VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So, Matrox Millennium video adapters have two ports, one of them is a standard DB15 VGA, the other is a DB-26 that I have no idea about what it could be for:

matrox_millenium_3.jpg

matrox_millenium2pci_3.jpg

More interestingly, Mystique cards appear to have a header right beside this port, which makes me even more curious..

matrox_mystique_3.jpg

matrox_mystique220_3.jpg

What are these ports and headers for? Is it an output? Can I get a secondary video image from these and possibly route it to another display or recording device? Or is it an input? If so, for what kind of devices?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 29, by ifrit05

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Pretty sure it's for the Matrox Rainbow Runner Studio. https://www.matrox.com/graphics/media/pdf/sup … als/en_rrst.pdf

P3B-F v1.03 | VIA C3 Nehemiah 1GHz @ 1.33GHz| 4x128 PC133 | GeForce4 Ti 4200 | OPL3-SA3+DreamBlaster X2GS

Reply 3 of 29, by misterjones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As the two before me have said, it's for the VIVO breakout cable used by the Rainbow Runner daughterboard. Below is a pic of my Mystique 220 W/Rainbow Runner card and the breakout cable in question.

100_3413.JPG
Filename
100_3413.JPG
File size
973.01 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

And the Rainbow Runner detached from the card

100_3418.JPG
Filename
100_3418.JPG
File size
1.64 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 4 of 29, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I also have a Mystique with a Rainbow Runner daughterboard, but lack that breakout cable. Is there a pinout for that?

Reply 5 of 29, by misterjones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2020-01-06, 10:18:

I also have a Mystique with a Rainbow Runner daughterboard, but lack that breakout cable. Is there a pinout for that?

Not that I'm aware of.

You'd think that after all this time maybe Matrox would have published it 'cause they're definitely not going to profit from anything related to the Mystique or RR in this day and age.

Reply 6 of 29, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Rainbow Runner Studio, not Rainbow Runner. These are two different products. There's no breakout cable for the Rainbow Runner.

Rainbow Runner is an MPEG decoder only, whereas Rainbow Runner Studio is also an a/v capture device which requires a breakout cable to provide a/v in- and outputs. Many websites don't seem to distinguish between the two.

https://retronn.de/imports/hwgal/hw_matrox_my … nnerstudio.html

Reply 7 of 29, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote on 2020-01-07, 16:17:

Rainbow Runner Studio, not Rainbow Runner. These are two different products. There's no breakout cable for the Rainbow Runner.

Rainbow Runner is an MPEG decoder only, whereas Rainbow Runner Studio is also an a/v capture device which requires a breakout cable to provide a/v in- and outputs. Many websites don't seem to distinguish between the two.

https://retronn.de/imports/hwgal/hw_matrox_my … nnerstudio.html

Ahhh, I do not have the Studio, just the regular runner I think.

Matrox-Mystique-Rainbow-Runner.jpg

Reply 8 of 29, by Shinnen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,
I'm new here.
You'll probably find this hard to believe, but I have a Mystique running on my Windows 10 desktop, and it actually runs better than the built in Intel 915G. It's using Windows VGA drivers and DirectX 9. I just slapped it in, and it worked, right off the bat. I only have PCI slots in this computer (Dimension 3100) so had to rumage though my old cards to find something that would work better than the Intel.
I have since removed the Rainbow Runner from my MY220P, since it wasn't working, and have put it onto the Mystique. It seems to run fine; but I'm wondering if the runner will add any improvements to the Mystique's graphics.
Thanks,
...... john

Reply 10 of 29, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Putas wrote on 2021-01-29, 04:31:

It is not that your Mystique is doing anything, it is Windows 10 video emulation working around it.

I was just going to post this, the whole acceleration is being done in Software and your Mystique is just outputting a video buffer.

Reply 11 of 29, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does a K6-2/350CXT need the "RainbowRunner" card to play MPEG Video better with MGA Mystique 220 4MB ?
The rainbowrunner addon card does accelerate mpeg1 but not mpeg2 (DVD) so how important is such a card if the main CPU is about 350Mhz and above.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 12 of 29, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr.zeissler wrote on 2024-01-10, 21:52:

Does a K6-2/350CXT need the "RainbowRunner" card to play MPEG Video better with MGA Mystique 220 4MB ?
The rainbowrunner addon card does accelerate mpeg1 but not mpeg2 (DVD) so how important is such a card if the main CPU is about 350Mhz and above.

If memory serves me right I remember playing MPEG2 without hardware decoding being pretty painful pre-Deschutes. Honestly, looking back even Dell put in MPEG2 decodes in their Latitude XPS D333 PCs which were basically top of the top of the line for consumer prebuilts at the time. You'd think they would cut a corner with that for price if it wasn't necessary.. I'd say a lower end K6-2, being significantly slower than a Klamath, would need MPEG2 decoding in hardware to properly playback DVDs..

Reply 13 of 29, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If we are talking about a video CD compatible MPEG-1 constrained parameter bitstream (352x240/352x288 at 30 or 25 or 24 fps , etc) , even a Pentium 1 could handle that with ease, maybe even a 60 MHz Pentium 1. I remember that my old Pentium 1 @ 150 MHz had no issues doing it in software with the video card doing only scaling (stretching to full screen) and possibly colorspace conversion in the graphics card's hardware.

The hardware scaling and colorspace conversion, which pretty much all cards handled past 1995ish or so, was significant, because a software decompressed MPEG-1 video CD stream, in its native YCbCr at 4:2:0 subsampling was about 3.6Megabytes per second to push over the PCI bus into the video card IF the video card supported conversion to RGB and scaling in hardware. If the video card did not support scaling and RGB conversion in hardware (or if one did not use it), pushing the same VCD video stream with full software processing to a fullscreen 640x480 24-bit desktop would require 26Megabytes per second (800x600 would be 50% more bandwidth) . PCI bus implementations of that era were quite compromised AND video card designs had relatively limited internal and/or external bus constraints.

Reply 14 of 29, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

At the time I remember that a couple of people around me had these kind of dedicated MPEG2 decoding cards: http://www.digivision.it/docs/hollywoodplus.html
It was the only way to have a decent DVD-decoding experience.

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.

Reply 15 of 29, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can't upgrade the CPU beside some clocking, I can't change the gfx-card (PCI MGA Mystique 4MB).
What I can do is upgrading that mystique with rainbow-runner, question is, does it improve things?

currently power-dvd 1.2 runs good on win95b for video-cd. I have to do some more testing, especially
how much cpu-power is drawn to the decoding... the rainbow-runner is MPEG1 not MPEG2 so no DVD
and no SVCD support. I don't think that hardware MPEG1 support does anything for DVD/sVCDplayback.

edit:
- there is no free slot in that machine to add an mpeg2 decoder.
- the onboard rageIIc is deactivated because it's even slower than the mystique and currently not support in amithlon which is essential to me.

Reply 16 of 29, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr.zeissler wrote on 2024-01-11, 12:59:
I can't upgrade the CPU beside some clocking, I can't change the gfx-card (PCI MGA Mystique 4MB). What I can do is upgrading tha […]
Show full quote

I can't upgrade the CPU beside some clocking, I can't change the gfx-card (PCI MGA Mystique 4MB).
What I can do is upgrading that mystique with rainbow-runner, question is, does it improve things?

currently power-dvd 1.2 runs good on win95b for video-cd. I have to do some more testing, especially
how much cpu-power is drawn to the decoding... the rainbow-runner is MPEG1 not MPEG2 so no DVD
and no SVCD support. I don't think that hardware MPEG1 support does anything for DVD/sVCDplayback.

edit:
- there is no free slot in that machine to add an mpeg2 decoder.
- the onboard rageIIc is deactivated because it's even slower than the mystique and currently not support in amithlon which is essential to me.

Rainbow Runner is MPEG1 only acceleration it will not help with DVD decoding (IIRC).

You need to find a PCI DVD/MPEG2 decoder card to accelerate that.

Reply 17 of 29, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Regarding that 26?pin port... does anyone have a link to the pinout ?

I recently came across a siemens D1025 which had a rainbow runner card rattling in the case, and another PCI card nearby with a tuner and a 26 pin D-connector attached via an IDC connector. Luckily on top of this all was a 26 pin D-connector with a bunch of connectors and also a scart connector attached. I could measure this and post the pinout. I'm curious though if anyone else has a link to compare it to.

The d1025 mainboard is working, after adding the electrolytics back on since someone removed them which caused the board to boot and then crash.
I haven't tested the rainbow card nor the pci tuner card yet.
The thing that was missing from this all was the ISA/PCI riser that the mainboard uses. slightly frustrating.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 18 of 29, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My recollections are that you needed about P-133 to guarantee smooth MPEG1 playback with no hardware support. With full decoders it could be done on fast 386, with halfass acceleration, scaling support etc, you could just do it on a hotrod 486 100Mhz+.

For MPEG2, there was a bit of a hump in software support in that the software was about 25% slower in first couple of years then got optimisations and sped up a bit, so you could probably get a PII 300 doing it okay now where it wouldn't quite do it when new. Same kind of thing for MPEG1 software too, might have jumped ahead with pentium optimisations. Anyway, K6 class can manage it somewhere in the 300-400 range usually, but depends on bus speed and setup. Hardware support varies, I think a full separate decoder would have you doing good on a P-133 again, whereas inbuilt to graphics card, Rage II, Sis6326 etc decoders might have had you needing 200Mhz to pull it off.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 19 of 29, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
weedeewee wrote on 2024-01-11, 16:52:
Regarding that 26?pin port... does anyone have a link to the pinout ? […]
Show full quote

Regarding that 26?pin port... does anyone have a link to the pinout ?

I recently came across a siemens D1025 which had a rainbow runner card rattling in the case, and another PCI card nearby with a tuner and a 26 pin D-connector attached via an IDC connector. Luckily on top of this all was a 26 pin D-connector with a bunch of connectors and also a scart connector attached. I could measure this and post the pinout. I'm curious though if anyone else has a link to compare it to.

The d1025 mainboard is working, after adding the electrolytics back on since someone removed them which caused the board to boot and then crash.
I haven't tested the rainbow card nor the pci tuner card yet.
The thing that was missing from this all was the ISA/PCI riser that the mainboard uses. slightly frustrating.

something like this? (FSC-C5 (233mmx) D1025 onboard mystique 2MB + Rainbow-Runner on top of the mainboard.

Attachments

• IMG_3667.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_3667.JPG
    File size
    1.56 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    FSC-C5 D1025 onboard mystique 2MB with RainbowRunner on Mainboard
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_3666.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_3666.JPG
    File size
    1.64 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_3665.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_3665.JPG
    File size
    1.66 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by dr.zeissler on 2024-01-11, 18:45. Edited 3 times in total.