VOGONS

First post, by Drifter82

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Has anyone tried it? Care to share your impressions on how it looks?

Most of the website comments don't even know what it does.

There's a software scaler in Nvidia Turing gpus (2080 etc). In the latest drivers you can select scaling only without sharpening. The scaling algorithm is 5 tap\32 phase if you are an electrical engineer or something - better than bicubic.

It has to be run in full screen, and not in MShybrid.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/nvi … e-ready-driver/

I thought this would be really good for the 2D 90's games.

I've tried it without one of those ludicrously expensive gpu's, it appears to use bilinear. I'm sure they could code a software scaler without tensor hardware, guess they were worried about performance. Not that it matters on a 2D game...

Reply 1 of 5, by Drifter82

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Man, no ones tried it?

Maybe everyone here is too wise to blow hundreds of bucks on a gpu which will be obsolescent in a few years.

Short of buying a CRT or one of the very few monitors with a quality scaler, this is good as it gets on an LCD.

Spose we'll have to wait a few years until there's more uptake of these units.

Reply 2 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Waiting until the new graphics cards this year to see if it's worth upgrading my 1080TI. RTX currently is superficial. Lighting and reflections never did much for me, not that many games I'm interested in using it, and the performance is horrible (1080p 60fps if you're lucky 🤣), best to wait.

Also only have a 2560x1440 monitor because the current 4k monitors are shit and shit for gaming so waiting on those.

The feature is nice but not enough to blow a bunch of money on especially since Nvidia should make it available on their older cards but they need to sell those the new cards so that's why.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 5, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

2D games can be scaled by other means in many cases. DOSBOX has various scalers for example.

Also, monitors often do more than just a linear scale and look sharper than GPU scaling.

Ideally you probably want some kind of integer scaling of the pixels so there is no blurring. Unless that's not the look you want.

I'm sure this is something that could be addressed with a DLL replacement too. Some kind of DirectDraw or Direct3D intermediary as is used for many other things these days. Dege of DGVoodoo might be worth asking. DGVoodoo already does some kinds of scaling.

Reply 5 of 5, by Drifter82

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

He just implemented bicubic and lanczos into a wip build. Looks great except his wrapper doesn't work great on IWD2. It's such a massive library of titles he's supporting, too much work for one person.

OF course the advantage of a hardware or driver level solution is it should work with most titles.

Some monitors are good, a lot of tv's are good - but the vast majority are bilinear, even the expensive gsync ones.

Anyway it appears to a bit too early atm.