VOGONS

First post, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm thinking of getting one because I like its exterior. But I'm not into PS/2 machines and my interest is focused in late 486/early Pentium era. How compatible are these monitors with, say, a 486DX4-100 machine, or maybe a Pentium MMX? What is the maximum resolution? Are there any quirks or bugs?

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 1 of 5, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

According to Wikipedia there are a ton of different ps/2 monitor models - from a 12" 640x480 max res to 16″ 1280×1024. You also might want to look at the refresh rate range, most dont seem to exceed 60hz some even less.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 2 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had got a PS/2 monitor that worked with the ATI VGA Wonder built into my 286..
Re: Old photos of old rigs thread

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 5, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Be careful -- IIRC, some (like the 8514) will do 640x480 and 1024x768, but not 800x600. Multi-sync but not variable sync. Other than that, they should be analog VGA like any other. I don't have an IBM monitor, but my PS/2 with VGA output drives a normal display (CRT, LCD, OSSC) just fine.

Reply 4 of 5, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah model no. would help.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 5 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The original 8513 12" monitor is very picky - it does VGA and VGA only, 320x200/240 and 640x480. Slight variance in input can cause artifacts. I have one (for nostalgia's sake - from 1988-1995 we had a PS/2 model 70 with one) and happened to use it for testing some old crap last weekend. Using regular VGA cards worked fine, but when I used my MCE2VGA adapter, it went wobbly with the output converted from EGA text mode (i.e. POST screen).

Nice bits of nostalgia, but not something I'd recommend as a versatile all-round monitor, definitely not useful for later >=486 SVGA stuff