VOGONS

First post, by viper32cm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just acquired a WinME-era PIII system from HP with a Geforce 2MX400 installed. The motherboard has a universal agp slot, without any keying for voltage. The system will boot with the GF2MX as well as my GF256 DDR. However, it will not even display the video BIOS with my GF4 TI4200 8X AGP card. This seems odd since I used that particular GF4 in another PIII system of similar vintage for years and even used it with my prior PII system with a 440BX. I've run into similar problems trying to run newer PCI cards in older Socket 5 and 7 boards, but I never would have expected to run into this problem with a universal AGP slot.

With the GF4 installed, the motherboard is beeping 1 long and 3 shorts as well as 1 long and 2 shorts.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be the problem?

Reply 1 of 3, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That particular board does not like that particular card. Happens. And since it's HP, the board manufacturer is probably ASUS. My ASUS P3B-F is quite picky with video cards too.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 3, by viper32cm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-01-11, 19:33:

That particular board does not like that particular card. Happens. And since it's HP, the board manufacturer is probably ASUS. My ASUS P3B-F is quite picky with video cards too.

Yes, it's definitely an ASUS board, a CUV-NT. I suppose I could find a newer card built by ASUS.

Reply 3 of 3, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
viper32cm wrote on 2020-01-11, 19:46:
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-01-11, 19:33:

Yes, it's definitely an ASUS board, a CUV-NT. I suppose I could find a newer card built by ASUS.

I doubt that will make a difference.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK