VOGONS

First post, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Been a long time since I did anything with Windows 95. Over 10 years since I did an install, and 20 years since I used it allot. Trying to setup a fun gaming PCI 486. Right now it has an 80mhz ST (Cyrix) DX2 in it, with a Matrox Millennium II, with the upgraded ram board @ 8mb. Even with this overkill, Duke 3D struggles allot. This must be the CPU? BTW the ram is 48mb (3x 16mb EDO) and the board has 256k cache. I'm planning to drop a 5x86 133 running at 160 (I hope). The question is, with the ram upgrade on that Matrox card, is that just wasted? Do I even need 8mb for anything? I've got two of these identical Matrox Millennium II cards, one with, and one without daughter card. It's a hoot to go 32-bit 1600 x 1200 on the desktop, but all the games make it fall back to ugly 256 color low resolutions (and you have to set it manually...annoying!) so is that extra 4mb just wasted in this setup? Is there anything I could make an excuse to use it for on Win95?

Thanks in advance for the thoughts and discussion. I really enjoy having a place to chat about this stuff.

TW

Reply 1 of 3, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The amount of video memory needed can be calculated by the resolution used. For a e.g. 640x480 screen with 256 colors you need exactly 300 kb. If double-buffering is used, you need 600 kb. So for DOS games, you're pretty much fine with even 1 MB. But you really want 2 or 4 mb when using Windows. 8 mb on the Matrox is wasted if you don't use it for 3d. For 3d, all textures must be stored in video ram, so more is better.

Reply 2 of 3, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hard to imagine that too much ram could be a problem. 1mb min, 4mb is probably more thanenough. I’d be more concerned about drivers that support your monitors resolution, 2d acceleration in the driver, and raw dos performance.

Reply 3 of 3, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A 486 or even a 586 will struggle with Duke3d. It's playable but not what I'd call smooth.
As already mentioned the extra video memory wont really help you in dos, In windows it'll allow different resolutions and colour depth the following site has a table with the combinations
http://www.danielsevo.com/bocg/bocg_screenres.htm

One downside is it doesn't have the best compatibility with duke at higher resolutions (Not that you would want to on a 486)
https://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS/

but on the plus side it's good quality image and the fact you can play the few games that support the MSI API
3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)