VOGONS

Reply 20 of 24, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
imi wrote on 2020-01-21, 23:47:

I got a dynamite VL out of a scrap box once ^^ but it arrived as a puzzle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eY7snn5NsM
(as in the seller was selling them as seperate lots, but I got both ^^)

I also have several hercules S3 cards, so yeah, they're really not that rare imho.

That hand movement in the end! I know exactly what you were thinking. 😁
On one lot I bought a while back the seller wanted to do me a favour by removing all socketed ICs so I'd have an easier time scrapping the boards. Thanks...

Reply 21 of 24, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

FYI, the ARK1000 and Avance cards arrived. Both seem to work well. Benchmarking them now. The Avance is significantly slower. Going to retest all my cards at P75, P120, and P200 (eventually). Right now, just benching at 75Mhz because that's what my cpu is set at while I'm playing Wizardry 7. After I finish Wiz7, I'll test at other cpu frequencies to show how the cards compare at the 3 common, roughly evenly spaced Pentium speeds.

vga012520.PNG
Filename
vga012520.PNG
File size
31.91 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

One difference between the ARK1000 and ARK2000 is the 1000 does not have the corruption in 1942: The Pacific Air War install.exe text mode. The ARK2000 shows serious corruption in the 1942:PAW install.exe text mode (unreadable text). Don't know if this is a function of the graphics chipset or the vendor BIOS.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 22 of 24, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does this apply to older hercules cards only? I see those hercules stingray voodoo rush cards being sold constantly around where I live. Even at the moment I could pick up 2 of them for 20 euros each, but I heard they have pretty bad dos compatibility so I have not bought them so far.

Reply 23 of 24, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Baoran wrote on 2020-01-26, 11:24:

Does this apply to older hercules cards only? I see those hercules stingray voodoo rush cards being sold constantly around where I live. Even at the moment I could pick up 2 of them for 20 euros each, but I heard they have pretty bad dos compatibility so I have not bought them so far.

In my experience, yeah. When I first got into retro computing, one of the first things I started looking for were Hercules graphics cards from "my era" when I first got into DOS computing in the early 90s. I had fond memories of the Dynamite Pro and Power (ET4000), Dynamite 128 (ET6000), Stingray Pro (Ark1000), Stingray 64 (ARk2000), and Graphite Terminator (S3 8xx/9xx/Trio) series, but when I started searching for them on ebay, I was only finding newer Hercules 3d accelerators from the late 90s.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 24 of 24, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kixs wrote on 2020-01-19, 18:32:

Cards in my interest era (ISA, VLB) are all pretty rare to find, no matter the brand.

It depends on what you want to pay for it. And yes good ISA cards are very rare.

~ At least it can do black and white~