VOGONS

First post, by Skanque

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Vogons

I have bought "the cat in the sack" seller stated that the card suddenly had stopped working, but was still able to be detected in device manager and had evidence of this.
That's all well and good, I bought many "supposedly not working" 3dfx cards, so diden't think much of it. Until it arrived and I can see evidence of repairs, which the seller had not mentioned.

Evidence of repair been done:
83846230-175012403708791-5931198485423456256-n.jpg
My other Diamond Monster 2:
83371422-2580063332072219-4962749416772468736-n.jpg

I have contacted the seller, but I would like to repair the card if possible. The passthrough work, it is being detected in device manager, the chips heats up slightly, but it cant run glide (have not tried direct 3d)

How do I proceed from here, is the card salvageable?

Reply 1 of 7, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's no repairs done in the area you showed, it is like it from factory.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 7, by Skanque

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2020-01-20, 16:11:

There's no repairs done in the area you showed, it is like it from factory.

I have not been able to find any other Diamond Monster 2 card or Voodoo 2 card with those solder pads filled, and especially that uneven.

Reply 3 of 7, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK. But there are filled solder pads. But where is the evidence of attempted repair?

Poor picture I know. But there is at least one another picture which seem to have solder in that area:

http://www.thg.ru/graphic/19980902/images/monster2.jpg

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 4 of 7, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My cards are having same sort of filled solder pads too. If they were done after manufacture they would look a lot different. Nobody has replaced that power regulator there.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 5 of 7, by Skanque

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@ mpe and Tiido. Ok I count on your guys experience. I just think it looks suspicious, since its so uneven and reflective, the solder does look that old, but it may just be well kept.

If we assume that the card have not been tampered with or tried repaired, where should I start? the card does not switch to glide when asked, but otherwise its responsive?

Reply 6 of 7, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is that the original power regulator?
I have a broken 12Mb V2 and that power regulator is cracked and slight damage of heat can be seen near the Vga connector.
Imo it has been tried a repair on that card, no other CT6670s I own have solder there.
However the soldering job seems made by a professional, if he didn't fix it, probably that card is long gone...

Reply 7 of 7, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

while it's true that on most pictures those pads don't have solder on tham I can also find some that do... and yeah, imho that really looks like it came like that out of the factory.