VOGONS

First post, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,
I've had this Hmc as a spare card in my ISA collection but never tried it. I was curious about its speed, so I thought to give it a go.
However it is not working, or at least it doesn't go past the Vga-Bios Splash-Screen. I know my system is fully functional, I run many other ISA cards in it.
Do you think it might be a compatibility issue? Or some jumpers need to be properly configured?
Or is the card just broken?

Some photos: https://imgur.com/a/dyUj7N6

Any suggestion is highly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 3, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The fact that it reports 12KB of video memory seems a tad off to me.
Maybe the jumper settings are wrong, but it could also be that the memory is faulty and the card stops in the middle of checking the available memory present and freezes.

Reply 2 of 3, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think it should be "512Kb" but the image in the monitor is slightly off. Happens to my other cards aswell, but when I boot into the OS I then hit the "AutoAdjust" button and it gets fixed properly in the center. 😀

The memory chips seems to be socketed, maybe I can remove one by one and try?
Is it ok if I let only 1 or 2 or 3 chips and start booting?

Thanks.

Reply 3 of 3, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Searching by FCCID I found this listing on eBay: I7USVGA 86304 16 bit USA 512KB HMC HM86304 SVGA Video Graphics card

Apparently this guy has more or less the same card, and the jumpers are configured in the same way as my card.
And he is getting the same VGA Bios Splash-Screen, so it is nearly identical card. I presume the problem relies somewhere between the card or memory being broken or incompatibility with my system. Will have to look deeper into this... 😀

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-03-02, 06:11. Edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed eBay link