VOGONS

First post, by WyndC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hey people,

Four questions, if you'd like to answer great, if not no worries. thanks all.

1)I purchased a GX150 SFF and I have 512MB of RAM, SB0100 sound card and a ATI 128MB Ultra 32MB AGP Graphics Card. Everything is working nice, especially sound in DOS, but no 3D games. I read that some cards don't work in the PCI riser rig due to power issues, so I'm going to grab a 160W power supply for the gx240. Any PCI cards I'm seeing are too big, does anyone have any advice? I've read various sites, but they all seem too big to fit in the PCI riser rig.

2)Also, I noticed that if I let my Windows 98 PC go to sleep, when I press the keyboard or press the power button to bring the system back up, my sound in DOS is no longer available. If I restart the system, BAM it works again. Just curious if anyone has seen that?

3) GX150 - Anyone know what the best Bios is? The website for Dell for the GX150 says up to A11, but when I updated it from A05 it was successful, but the hard drive wouldn't boot, "No OS found". Using a floppy IMG I brought it back to A06 and everything worked. I've read on a few posts that A06 is technically the only one for this hardware.

4) If I can't do anything, I found a good price on a GX240 tower, so that's on the way. Recommended Video Card for that guy?

Reply 1 of 3, by alexclaudiu2003

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The GX150 sff it's very buggy because it is to small and it's not worth it .
Buy the gx240 and put any geforce 4 or quadro 4, 128 bit bus, 64/128 mb.
Don't use nvidia Fx series or ATI/Amd.

Reply 2 of 3, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since your GX150 is the small form factor model, you'll be limited to low-profile/half-height AGP graphics cards, which severely narrows your choices. If you're not too picky, an nVidia Geforce4 MX440 would be a great choice for it. I used to have one in my Dell Dimension 4300S (which is like a consumer-oriented version of the GX240 small desktop) and it worked great for Windows 98 gaming.

For your GX240 tower, I'd go for an nVidia Geforce3/4 Ti series card (maybe a Ti4200 if you can find one at a decent price). My GX150 tower has a GF4 Ti4200 and it's pretty good as well.

I'd recommend nVidia Detonator 43.45 or 45.23 drivers for those cards.