VOGONS

First post, by 65C02

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys, I know this site is more about older hardware and software, but everyone here seems to really know their stuff so I thought I'd ask here first.

Having a strange Netflix problem with my computer. So what happens is that my monitor sometimes displays nothing but a bunch of "static" when I try to watch Netflix. It's similar to the ant race that old CRT TVs used to display when they weren't fully tuned in. No other app or video service causes the monitor to freak out - just Netflix (and even in Netflix it's pretty random). I think it started doing this after upgrading to Windows 10 a few months ago. Also, the computer doesn't crash when this happens; I can hear the show playing.

So, I'm not sure if the monitor or video card is dying, or if it's just not 100% compatible with Windows 10. My monitor is one of those old Korean 27" 1440p that were all the rage 10 years ago when one needed a cheap high rez IPS screen, so it could very well be on its last legs. I'm actually kind of surprised it lasted this long. The video card is the basic Intel 530 built in to the motherboard, running the newest driver. Wish I had a second monitor I could test it with, but this is the only one atm. Has anyone else seen this problem with Netflix?

Reply 1 of 3, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sounds like your monitor is freaking out when HDCP is switched on. Netflix (Disney+, Prime Video, etc) require HDCP as part of their DRM scheme, and only activate it when a video starts to play.

When this happens, can you power cycle or unplug/replug your monitor to fix it? Perhaps it's just getting senile! 😜

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 2 of 3, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What browser are you using? Have you tried a different one? If it still misbehaves, try turning off hardware acceleration in the browser.

Or are you using the Windows Store Netflix app? If so, I would try in a browser.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 3, by 65C02

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@SquallStrife: Power cycling doesn't work, but unplugging/replugging both the signal and power cables seems to do the trick.

@ cyclone3D: I was using the Netflix app. Tried it in Chrome and whaddayaknow...it works! I tried playing/stopping 10 different shows and there was not a single glitch. The only downside is that the picture quality isn't as good. The Netflix app always switches up to 1080p after a few seconds, but Chrome doesn't seem to do that.

I guess for now I'll just unplug/replug the monitor whenever it glitches out. I'm paying for HD, might as well enjoy it. It always gets through the first show just fine. If it decides to glitch out, it's always right when the 2nd or 3rd show starts playing, so I think you're right about HDCP. Might try throwing in something like a cheap GT 710 from Ebay, just to see if it helps at all.

Thanks for the help guys.