VOGONS

Win 98 Intel Extreme Graphics 2 865G MS-DOS Issues

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Heatvent

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

HI,

I have been struggling to get a Dell Dimension 4600 Pentium 4 with 512mb of RAM and Intel 865G chipset working correctly with Win 98 / DOS . I installed the Intel inf drivers and pretty much every device is functioning. I also installed the v 13.6.1 graphics drivers that cover the 865G chipset (win9x1361.exe file floating around the internet in a few places). The drivers install fine and the graphics work in Win 98. However, if I try to run DOS games from Win 98 the screen goes black. If I hit alt + Enter to go to windowed mode I can see what was on the screen in the window so behind the scenes the driver is working but it is showing a black screen in full-screen mode. Also, if I try to restart in DOS mode from Win 98, the screen distorts and then freezes. Finally, Duke 3D complains the vesa driver was not found/supported. So there is an issue with this running a DOS window. If I boot Win 98 straight into dos or if I remove the drivers and use the standard VGA driver, I can then get video for DOS games. This is not ideal however as I would like to have use of the graphics. I have tried playing with every Win 98 graphics setting I could find and there isn't much to change in BIOS so I am hitting a brick wall.

One other thing to add is the Intel Graphics seem to only go down to 256 colors (other options are high color and true color). Not sure if this is part of the problem.

If anyone has any pointers it would be appreciated.

Thank you

Reply 1 of 3, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ask old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android This forum is for running old Windows games on NEW (supported) versions of Windows

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers