First post, by C0deHunter
My local retro PC shop has the following cards for sale ($19 per card):
- DIAMOND SpeedStar Pro SE (PCI)
- TRIDENT TGUI9680-1 - [ Trident ver. X5.5] (PCI)
- S3 Trio64V+™ (PCI)
- S3 ViRGE/DX™ ONBOARD™ Q5E4BB (PCI)
Here are the images of the 4 cards:
- I am planning to replace my existing Rage Fury Pro / Xpert 2000 Pro, as I have this weird 'banding'/dithering issue in Windows 98SE environment, and I simply would like to replace it with an "older" video card.
- To play mostly DOS games (under "pure" DOS mode), and also to play a few select Windows based games (Quake, Quake II, HeXen II, Heretic II, SiN, Unreal) all in software mode (don't plan to use any 3D acceleration, 320x240 resolution mostly!)
- I understand that my PIII is fast for some DOS games, but using SetMUL, I have been able to successfully install and run most of my favorite DOS games however.
- My system specs are noted in my signature at the bottom of my post here.
1) Which card do you recommend, or should I simply get them all, to experiment?
2) Can I find their Win98SE drivers easily here on VOGONS?
Thanks in advance!
PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 256MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)