VOGONS

First post, by abasak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a pretty overkill Asus GeForce FX 5900 Ultra 256MB in my dual slot 1 P3, along with a Voodoo2 SLI-setup. It was supposed to be a all around DOS/WIN-XP build. The intent was to have a system were the CPUs weren't bottlenecked, hence the the overkill videocard, but I've experienced some strange video-issues in DOS mode.

1. The display disappears at first boot when I hit the DOS-boot menu. After about 2 seconds, the screen goes dark. The system is still on, but the screen is black. When I reboot it doesn't happen. It is intermittent.

2. Entering certain games, or the config menu of say FIFA International or Raptor, my DOS-prompt is suddenly only showing every second line. However, games show the entire screen, so only DOS is affected, and the config menu if I re-enter it.

Now, I have tried to plug the monitor directly into the Geforce-card, the issue persists, so it is not related to the Voodoo2's. In Windows XP and 98se I experience no problems.

Is my card dying or could something else be going on? My monitor (I really hope not)?

Reply 1 of 5, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you have no problems with XP and 98se, problem is then not the card.

Are you using DVI or VGA port? Not adapter (DVI to VGA).

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 4 of 5, by abasak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I will post screenshots tomorrow.

My specs are:

Tyan Tiger 133
2x667 MHZ Pentium III
512mb RAM
Nvidia FX 5900 ULTRA
2xVoodoo 2
Audician32
17" Samsung CRT
D-link DWA547
Some old ATX PSU

The issue occurs even if I plug in my CRT into the NVIDIA card.

If I for example enter EDIT in DOS-mode, when I exit it draws only every fourth line or something like that. I don't know if it is related to my Video Card, my board or my PSU. In Windows XP and 98 everything works. I did today happen to hang when I started FIFA96 in Windows 98 for my son to play.
I am having some annoying problems with detection of the PS/2 ports (for the life of me I can't figure out why PS/2 on some boots doesn't work).

Reply 5 of 5, by BeastOfSoda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to necro, but I am having a similar issue with black lines showing in DOS 80 column text mode; only difference, it occurs at random, and then just stays that way. Here's how it looks:

20210623_225145.jpg
Filename
20210623_225145.jpg
File size
1.75 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

It's as if only half the lines are being rendered. In my case, I changed the mainboard to a Shuttle AV11, with all the rest staying the same (P3 866, Nvidia TNT2 m64). Has a fix for this been found?

EDIT: in my case, this was resolved by double checking the settings along with the BIOS documentation. There was a combination of options related to the video card that didn't sit well with my setup, with the main suspects being AGP wait states and exotic performance modes that may not have been completely supported.