VOGONS

First post, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OK, nothing lasts for ever, that is a given, but LCD monitors have, in my experience, been quite durable . Granted , with use, backlights and inverters dies, LEDs dim , PSU caps fail; all of these can often be replaced or worked around . What about LCD panel degradation and eventual death ? I have just suffered my first probable casualty on that front : my Samsung 204B has started exhibiting an overly bright extreme top right corner, which I assume is the panel degrading . I found a cheap-ish 2007FPB to replace it, but 4x3 1600x1200 LCD monitors do not grow on trees and replacement in the future might be expensive or impossible .

So my questions for you vogoners :

a) How do LCD panels typically start dying, and after how long a time ?
b) Have you personally experienced panel degradation or death ?
c) Is there anything to be done to avoid or at least delay onset on symptoms ?

Reply 1 of 16, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

do you have a picture of it?

maybe it's a filter layer over the LCD that's delaminating.

only degradation I have experienced is burn in, and a bright corner like you are describing on a Samsung 226BW (that I already replaced the caps on)

I guess there is some less noticable degradation as panels becomming dimmer and/or losing color accuracy and contrast.

my EIZO SX2761W is not really shown any signs of fatigue even after ~36000 hours of use (in other words more than 4 years of screen on time)... so I guess it also depends a lot on quality ^^

Reply 2 of 16, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not the best picture (sorry for the awful geometric distortion), but it shows the corner issue and what I believe to be a band of degradation along the edge of the screen .

EDIT : That band of potential degradation is visible in person and on camera, but only at an angle . This being a TN display, I usually avoid angled viewing, so I had not noticed it until came time to take a picture .

20200420_151802.jpg
Filename
20200420_151802.jpg
File size
1.48 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Last edited by darry on 2020-04-20, 19:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 16, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote on 2020-04-20, 19:56:

A degrading panel normally causes areas to get foggy/darker, not brighter. Bright spots come from pressure. In the corners often by too tight screws.

Could it be the light diffusion panel coming loose or getting bent ?

What is your take on the darker band around the top and right edges ?

Maybe I should open it up and have a look .

Reply 5 of 16, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote on 2020-04-20, 19:48:

Not the best picture (sorry for the awful geometric distortion), but it shows the corner issue and what I believe to be a band of degradation along the edge of the screen .

EDIT : That band of potential degradation is visible in person and on camera, but only at an angle . This being a TN display, I usually avoid angled viewing, so I had not noticed it until came time to take a picture .

20200420_151802.jpg

oh mine is much more pronounced than that and larger, almost bright white in the corner.
I'm not using it anymore so can't quickly snap a pic ^^

Reply 7 of 16, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

mine was next to the aforementioned EIZO that tends to get pretty hot, it was kind of behind the edge of the EIZO to keep the gap smaller, so I attributed it to something delaminating due to heat or something like that.

Reply 8 of 16, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an older HP LP2475w IPS screen that starts to screenrot. There is a spot in the middle of the screen that is slightly brown and gets darker every few months. On a black background it's emitting a slight red.

The edges of the panel also start to get brown. Shame, it is 100% Adobe RGB capable and comes with a YPbPr input.

This seems to be common, I bought one of these as a replacement used and had to ship it back because the spots were even worse.

On the other hand, my Dell 2007Fpb looks absolutely fabulous. Very uniform, bright lighting and no panel problems. When I bought it, it was flickering like crazy and needed new capacitors, though.

I also have an older TV that starts to bleed light through at the edges. The black values had been much better when it was new.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 9 of 16, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have 2 LCDs, one TV and this monitor. Both shows the halo around the edges, been there for number of years, it started thinner at first then thicker and thicker. Actual LCD's pixels brightness and color not affected, it's the plastic layer that doing this.
Both were purchased new, about 6 months apart and now are 10 years at this point.

Nothing you can do about that.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 10 of 16, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So far, lots of the comments point toward issues on the edges, which would point to some kind of contamination due to something like maybe a sealant failure . Considering that forums aren't swamped with reports of this kind of issue it seems it is not very prevalent so far . Then again, most of the LCD monitors we are using are not yet 20 years so this is something we might be seeing more of in the future .

What about 20+ year older laptops ? Other than a certain early Mac laptop screen I have heard of, how are your old laptop screens holding up (other than backlight issues) ?

Reply 12 of 16, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote on 2020-04-21, 00:07:

oh yeah... another common erm... "fault" is small insects crawling and dying in between layers of the monitor x3

Good point, I have read about that. It happens in cameras too .

Reply 13 of 16, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2020-04-21, 00:02:

how are your old laptop screens holding up

The IPS panel in my Thinkpad A31p is also rotting. It has a very uniform brown discoloration around the edges.

The TN panels in my T23, A30 and R52 are still holding up very well.

So at least from my personal experience, IPS panels degrade much faster. But these had been cutting-edge technology back then and maybe the manufacturing process of newer models is more refined. Time will tell.

Funny anecdote: The screen of my Sony Xperia phone has developed two stuck pixels over the course of one year. I guess screens are not built to last forever?

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 14 of 16, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote on 2020-04-21, 00:17:
imi wrote on 2020-04-21, 00:07:

oh yeah... another common erm... "fault" is small insects crawling and dying in between layers of the monitor x3

Good point, I have read about that. It happens in cameras too .

I haven't just read about it, I have one in my main monitor unfortunately... what I thought was just a speck of dust turned out to be one of those insects and with my repeated attempts at wiping it off I actually sqished it and cemented it's final resting place.

Reply 15 of 16, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not the best picture (sorry for the awful geometric distortion), but it shows the corner issue and what I believe to be a band of degradation along the edge of the screen .20200420_151802.jpg

My Samsung 204B actually has a bright spot in the top right corner too, but it is limited to only single pixel and it sort of behaves like light level is amplified in that pixel, it turns off with black and as lighter color is shown it shows it even lighter. I now wonder if it is some actual manufacturing defect...

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 16 of 16, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tiido wrote on 2020-04-21, 05:17:

Not the best picture (sorry for the awful geometric distortion), but it shows the corner issue and what I believe to be a band of degradation along the edge of the screen .20200420_151802.jpg

My Samsung 204B actually has a bright spot in the top right corner too, but it is limited to only single pixel and it sort of behaves like light level is amplified in that pixel, it turns off with black and as lighter color is shown it shows it even lighter. I now wonder if it is some actual manufacturing defect...

If that is the case, I hope this specific to this TN panel model and isn't common on other Samsung 20" panels of the period . My incoming 2007FPB has a 50% chance of having a Samsung S-PVA panel .