VOGONS

Voodoo 2 component map

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 49, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is C48 (component side, lower right) also missing? Can't really make it out on the photo.

The trace damage near the VGA connector should be checked with a multimeter. It looks quite severe.

1982 to 2001

Reply 21 of 49, by lemonlime

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Hoping wrote on 2020-08-13, 14:23:

Hi, C108 is on the values chart as 1nf 25v

Ah, I missed that. Thanks. It is in a different location on the CT6670 compared to board layout in the original post. It is a bit further down.

Also known as vswitchzero. Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/vswitchzero

Reply 22 of 49, by lemonlime

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cyrix200+ wrote on 2020-08-13, 14:36:

Is C48 (component side, lower right) also missing? Can't really make it out on the photo.

The trace damage near the VGA connector should be checked with a multimeter. It looks quite severe.

Yep, it is broken right off. sdz spotted it an provided the correct value for it (1nF 25V 0603). For the trace damage, would one just do a continuity test from the nearest point/pad to the correct pin on the VGA connector? I'm guessing I could solder jumper wires where required if something is severed.

My soldering skills are pretty basic so I ordered a practice board to get some surface mount practice 😀

EDIT: I cleaned up the trace damage area and did some continuity tests. The one trace that joins two pins on each VGA connector is defintely severed. I attached a high resolution image. You can see its pretty clearly cut. Might just use a bridge wire between the two pins on the back of the board.

EDIT2: The other scratched trace is also bad as confirmed with a multimeter. No wonder I had no video output (passthrough or 3D). Will need two bridge wires it seems.

Attachments

• damagedtrace.jpg
    Filename
    damagedtrace.jpg
    File size
    452.6 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    VGA out trace damage
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Also known as vswitchzero. Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/vswitchzero

Reply 24 of 49, by sdz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
eeJay wrote on 2020-08-14, 18:08:
Hi guys, I'd like to know the value for c70 on a Diamond v2 8 MB. […]
Show full quote

Hi guys,
I'd like to know the value for c70 on a Diamond v2 8 MB.

Thread here: Voodoo 2, no image with Glide games

Thanks

Hi,
C70: 100nF 25V 0603

Reply 26 of 49, by sdz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Updated the beginning of the thread with component values for another Voodoo 2 reference design based board, specifically a Creative CT6670. This, with what I posted before, should cover most V2 cards out there.

Reply 28 of 49, by tkrn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Instead of creating a new thread, I need assistance finding out two capacitors C50 & C81 on the STB Voodoo2 cards. I can't find an equivalent component map. I need help reading the values and packaging to get the right SMD capacitors. Thanks.

EZ80EMK.jpg

Reply 29 of 49, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tkrn wrote on 2021-09-06, 17:06:

Instead of creating a new thread, I need assistance finding out two capacitors C50 & C81 on the STB Voodoo2 cards. I can't find an equivalent component map. I need help reading the values and packaging to get the right SMD capacitors. Thanks.

Both of those are 10uF 16V. In fact, all the SMD electrolytics on the card have the exact same value.

Reply 31 of 49, by tkrn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I re-capped both of my Voodoo3 1000 videos card. Major problem on one of the cards, two of the SMD capacitors broke off C57 & C53. I was able to find one of them but I never noticed them being broken off. One of them, I did for sure. I don't know the value of these capacitors. Can you help with that too? Lastly, I had to do a trace repair on of the 10uF capacitors. It turned out okay. Also, on one of the cards two of the main chipset had bent pins. I got my magnifying glass out with a new razor to separate the smushed pins though I don't want to test it until I get replacement caps for C57 & C53. Here is a photo of the re-cap job.

HYbmhEI.jpg

Edit: I realized after this post, I forgot capacitor C6. I've already soldered that back on.

Reply 32 of 49, by MaDGyrus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Folks,
Does anyone have STB BMG312 (aka Black Magic) components map? I have C22, C50, C59 and C81 caps missing (maybe something else, but for now looks like that's it).
And also super grace volcano 3dx2000 3dfx voodoo2?
Much appreciated!

Reply 33 of 49, by MaDGyrus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TheMobRules wrote on 2021-09-06, 17:23:

Both of those are 10uF 16V. In fact, all the SMD electrolytics on the card have the exact same value.

Re-read the thread, BMG caps question is out of the way (component map still would be helpful)
Question about Super grace volcano 3dx2000 3dfx voodoo2 still stands though!

Reply 34 of 49, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hoping someone here can help... I have two 12MB STB voodoo 2's.
One is working, the other is detected in Windows device manager but all Glide games and the 3dfx demos tell me that they couldn't detect a Voodoo card.

I discovered that C577 was missing off the back of the faulty one.
I had a spare 100nF SMD cap so soldered that on, but this didn't fix the issue.

Does anyone know what the value of that cap should be or if 100nF would be 'close enough'?

My next step will be to remove the HSF which appears to be stuck on with double-sided tape so I can check that part of the card.

20211204-234626.jpg
20211204-234616.jpg

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 35 of 49, by MrWeedster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.
I got a voodoo 2 card which is missing two components on the back: C51 things.
I saw the component pdf in the second post but i'm confused because i'm no soldering guy: What are these and where can i get them?

Regards

Reply 36 of 49, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MrWeedster wrote on 2023-12-29, 07:32:
Hi. I got a voodoo 2 card which is missing two components on the back: C51 things. I saw the component pdf in the second post bu […]
Show full quote

Hi.
I got a voodoo 2 card which is missing two components on the back: C51 things.
I saw the component pdf in the second post but i'm confused because i'm no soldering guy: What are these and where can i get them?

Regards

They are capacitors. You need to buy SMD ceramic capacitors with a value 1nF/25V. The package 0603 determines their size so they can sit on the pads correctly. They are not hard to source, any big or local electronics shop, even ebay if you are using it, should have them.

Reply 37 of 49, by MrWeedster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for clarification. I ordered a bunch. Is it possible to solder these in with an iron only and no heat gun or will this be nearly impossible?
A friend of mine is solder pro and if ironing is a too hard i'd give the card to him

Reply 38 of 49, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, it's a simple job. It's much more difficult to remove them with a single soldering iron, than to solder them down. Of course if you don't feel comfortable doing it let your friend do the job.

Reply 39 of 49, by MrWeedster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So i ordered a bunch of GRM033R71E102KA01D SMD capacitors with 1NF/25v, package size 0603 and received them today.
The capacitors are so tiny i barely can't see them, they're way too small to fit C51.
Did i order the wrong ones or did the seller send me the wrong ones?