VOGONS

First post, by erek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I bought another Sealed / Boxed (never been opened) XGI Volari Duo V8 Ultra. Makes 2 total for the collection now:

a9XPiuI.jpg

2IJ8RFY.jpg

Cw6vchx.jpg

Reply 3 of 8, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Awesome card, I remember I wanted it when it came out in the market but too expensive. I've read somewhere that some got faulty after some time on the power circuit, is that right? The capacitors and the power design seems indeed really "heavy" on the PCB almost they looked like prototype boards more than final release rev.

Last edited by 386SX on 2020-05-05, 13:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 8, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've never heard about the hardware being unreliable but I've heard the drivers left alot to be desired

Last edited by chrismeyer6 on 2020-05-11, 22:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 8, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow! I remember reading reviews when these came out. They're super rare. How did you manage to find TWO boxed V8 Duos?? Since you have two, do you plan to open one and test it out?

Reply 7 of 8, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How do you people find this stuff? Did you seriously find it just sitting on a shelf somewhere under a Dremel tool box?

I've never seen *any* XGI Volare cards for sale anywhere other than the Z7, which isn't even worth mentioning.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 8 of 8, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember being on the Hype Train for this back in the day. Oh man, what a horrible clusterfuck it ended up being. I'd still want one for my collection though.

I hope you also grabbed that Dremel, by the way.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.