VOGONS

First post, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm getting this card i remember it used to be around but i haven't seen it anywhere for many years I wanted to see if anyone had some input about them.
I have to refurb it as fan is broken but if I can get some input what its been used on what games work alright etc.
Heres a photo of it

wondering if it'd run on windows 9x

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    File size
    150.97 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 9, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah, dead fan.. I had fan die (spinning perfectly for several seconds then slow down then stopped), every time computer turned on. Was HD3650 by sapphire bought couple since new and still have them. Rebuilt using a notebook fan in place of original to keep one slot design, had to cut away part of the plastic housing where fan used to be.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 5 of 9, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2020-05-11, 00:49:
zapbuzz wrote on 2020-05-11, 00:25:
darry wrote on 2020-05-10, 22:57:

Nope . Nothing after the X800 seies does .

you think it'd run on 2000?

Yes

Thanks but you know i'll try to anyway 😀 i will post the result

Reply 6 of 9, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-05-11, 21:02:

Ah, dead fan.. I had fan die (spinning perfectly for several seconds then slow down then stopped), every time computer turned on. Was HD3650 by sapphire bought couple since new and still have them. Rebuilt using a notebook fan in place of original to keep one slot design, had to cut away part of the plastic housing where fan used to be.

Cheers,

maybe its bearing just needed lube?

Reply 7 of 9, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

To your response, yes, if the fan is sticky, or rattling noisily even not spinning freely when fingers spun quickly to test and watch it spin to stop. Use oil only.

On mine:
I did check the fan's bearing freedom by fingers flick and fan spun freely and magnetic wiggled to stop. Rarely see a fan die. But this one unusual, failed few seconds after turn on every time.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 8 of 9, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-05-12, 23:45:
To your response, yes, if the fan is sticky, or rattling noisily even not spinning freely when fingers spun quickly to test and […]
Show full quote

To your response, yes, if the fan is sticky, or rattling noisily even not spinning freely when fingers spun quickly to test and watch it spin to stop. Use oil only.

On mine:
I did check the fan's bearing freedom by fingers flick and fan spun freely and magnetic wiggled to stop. Rarely see a fan die. But this one unusual, failed few seconds after turn on every time.

Cheers,

yes its rare but the way a lot of these fans are mounted on heat sinks these days its almost like its deliberate. I mean mounting the fans bearing housing right on a heat sink that the bearing housing cannot vent. Plastic is like a heat insulator.

Reply 9 of 9, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It was disappointing to see bulging capacitors on this card guess it'll need to be recapped AS well as getting a new fan. Wow if it were like that in the photo Above i'd have moved onto another one. (well, i knew i shouldn't have but with HDMI I had to have it)