VOGONS

First post, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,

Need a sanity check on performance with the following setup:

AMD K6-2 550MHz (Not sure if this is a + or a K6-3 or what, I cant remember exactly which CPU it is. BIOS simply shows it as a K6-2 550 0n startup)
128MB RAM
TMC ti5vg+ Motherboard (VIA MVP3 Chipset)
Voodoo 3 2000 AGP
32GB "Hard Drive" (Actually a SD to IDE bridge board with a 32GB Sandisk Extreme SD card fitted)
Phillips PSC605 Sound Card

Windows ME
Amigamerlin 2.9 Video Drivers
VIA 4in1 5.24a Chipset Drivers

Getting I think below average performance in Unreal Tournament GOTY edition (GOG version, Glide wrapper removed), not sure of exact frame rate in game with the "stat fps" command as its output is somewhat hard to read as it does not do an average frame rate just a "live" one that the number moves so fast its hard to tell what fps is over time. I do know that fps takes a nose dive more then id like however..

Any thoughts, suggestions ?

Reply 1 of 7, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Updates,

Thought some of the stuttering may be disk related so ran an old version of ATTO Disk benchmark to see if the SD Adaptor may be not doing its job and it seems to scale from 10 MB/sec for the "in the KB's" size file transfers to about 25MB/s for the max size 8MB transfer which considering the IDE controller on this motherboard is ATA ULTRA 33 these results seem in keeping with expectations ?

Ran Quake 2 timedemo for demo1.dm2 and got 25FPS at 640x480 ?

Reply 3 of 7, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try installing the VIA 4in1 version 4.43 chipset drivers instead. First completely uninstall the 5.24a drivers.

I recall a thread on Vogons a while back where someone tested the different versions on the different VIA chipsets and some did show better performance than others.

Also, since you're running Windows ME, make sure that System Restore is disabled - I would recommend you go with Windows 98SE instead.

Reply 4 of 7, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jesolo wrote on 2020-05-16, 11:59:

Try installing the VIA 4in1 version 4.43 chipset drivers instead. First completely uninstall the 5.24a drivers.

I recall a thread on Vogons a while back where someone tested the different versions on the different VIA chipsets and some did show better performance than others.

Also, since you're running Windows ME, make sure that System Restore is disabled - I would recommend you go with Windows 98SE instead.

I may want to try the stock drivers for the Voodoo to it seems so how would I uninstall the existing Amigamerlin drivers and the VIA drivers completely exactly ?

Can not do 98SE for USB reasons .. see my thread on these very forums about that.

Reply 5 of 7, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

To uninstall the VIA 4in1 drivers is easy - just go to Add/Remove Programs under Control Panel. Then, do a complete reboot and install the Via 4in1 4.43 drivers.
To be honest, I've never tried the Amigamerlin drivers - my understanding is that these are installed via the Device Manager? If so, just go to the Device Manager and manually uninstall the driver from there. Then, just run the Voodoo3 installation and install the stock drivers.

To enable USB support under Windows 98SE you can try:

• The "Maximus Decim Native USB Drivers ver.3.3" for Win98SE (the file name is called NUSB33e) - I've had mixed results with this one - or,
  • you can extract the USBStack.exe drivers from the lastest unofficial Windows 98SE Service Pack 3.x installation package and just run that - I've found that this one works with practically all of my USB flash drives and portable USB drives (provided it's been formatted with FAT16 or FAT32). Other USB devices should also work, but I've never tried to install that many USB devices with my Windows 98SE installations.

I've attached the USBStack drivers from the version 3.34 Windows 98SE Unofficial Service Pack.
If you want to extract these yourself, you don't have to install the entire Service Pack. Just use 7-zip (or something similar) to extract the USBStack drivers. You'll find it within the SP3.CAB file.
I wish to point out that the USBStack drivers are not installed by default even if you install the Unofficial Service Pack. You have to run this manually.

What I would recommend, if you do use Windows 98SE, is to install the Unofficial Windows 98SE Service Pack 2.1a (just the Main Updates). This mostly includes all the official patches released by Microsoft in one package.

Attachments

• Filename
    USBSTACK.EXE
    File size
    567 KiB
    Downloads
    42 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 7, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jesolo wrote on 2020-05-16, 12:57:
To uninstall the VIA 4in1 drivers is easy - just go to Add/Remove Programs under Control Panel. Then, do a complete reboot and […]
Show full quote

To uninstall the VIA 4in1 drivers is easy - just go to Add/Remove Programs under Control Panel. Then, do a complete reboot and install the Via 4in1 4.43 drivers.
To be honest, I've never tried the Amigamerlin drivers - my understanding is that these are installed via the Device Manager? If so, just go to the Device Manager and manually uninstall the driver from there. Then, just run the Voodoo3 installation and install the stock drivers.

To enable USB support under Windows 98SE you can try:

• The "Maximus Decim Native USB Drivers ver.3.3" for Win98SE (the file name is called NUSB33e) - I've had mixed results with this one - or,
  • you can extract the USBStack.exe drivers from the lastest unofficial Windows 98SE Service Pack 3.x installation package and just run that - I've found that this one works with practically all of my USB flash drives and portable USB drives (provided it's been formatted with FAT16 or FAT32). Other USB devices should also work, but I've never tried to install that many USB devices with my Windows 98SE installations.

I've attached the USBStack drivers from the version 3.34 Windows 98SE Unofficial Service Pack.
If you want to extract these yourself, you don't have to install the entire Service Pack. Just use 7-zip (or something similar) to extract the USBStack drivers. You'll find it within the SP3.CAB file.
I wish to point out that the USBStack drivers are not installed by default even if you install the Unofficial Service Pack. You have to run this manually.

What I would recommend, if you do use Windows 98SE, is to install the Unofficial Windows 98SE Service Pack 2.1a (just the Main Updates). This mostly includes all the official patches released by Microsoft in one package.

Seems I made a mistake and I do indeed have the 4.43 drivers installed after all.

I have tried everything and anything to get USB working how I want it on 98SE/ME over the corse of the last 4 days (See: Windows 98SE and USB, a tale of woe..) and as of right now I have things working with ME on the USB side how I want them so I will stick with ME unless it becomes VERY clear that ME is at fault for any other problems I may have..

Reply 7 of 7, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did a thing and managed to get 98SE running with USB.... but earlier in the day on ME and now in 98SE UT99 hard locks after a few mins of bot match play, this only has happened today ? With all the issues I have had up until this point the stability of the system under stress has never been an issue so why now .. I have not changed a thing hardware or bios wise ?