VOGONS

First post, by SBM1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,

I've recently pulled an old computer out of the closet to use as my XP gaming machine. It's all great, and I've been losing myself in nostalgia, but I have an issue.

The GPU is a HD4850 (512MB) and it's LOUD! I'm happy with the performance and want to swap in an nVidia card that has equal or marginally better performance. I've actually ordered a passively cooled GT 730, but after dispatch I noticed it was the 1GB DDR3 version.

So my main questions are:
1 - Is the GT730 that's on the way WORSE than a HD4850? Again, it's a 1GB card using DDR3 (not GDDR)
2 - What's the best nVidia card that would give equal or slightly better performance than the HD4850?

Thank you all for your help.

Reply 2 of 12, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shagittarius wrote on 2020-05-21, 19:08:

750ti - Seems to run about 60 USD. I can't comment on how loud they are though.

Very quiet when idle. Very efficient design .

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce- … ew,3750-21.html

Reply 3 of 12, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GT730 is probably somewhat slower than a 4850 but it has other advantages over it like better game compatibility and image quality. I played around with one for a bit. Really I'd just try this and see what you think.

The 750 Ti is pretty nice. GTX 960 is also something I would ponder. 960 cards often come with excessive cooling capacity that leads to their fans remaining off much of the time. They are also the last with XP drivers I think.

Reply 7 of 12, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think the gtx5xx series are the last that work well with earlier games that use things like bump mapping. By gtx9xx series, it had definitely become a problem, not sure about 7xx series. But we are talking about a 2014 gpu for XP....I doubt they were testing XP era games by then.

Reply 8 of 12, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kolderman wrote on 2020-05-21, 22:58:

I think the gtx5xx series are the last that work well with earlier games that use things like bump mapping. By gtx9xx series, it had definitely become a problem, not sure about 7xx series. But we are talking about a 2014 gpu for XP....I doubt they were testing XP era games by then.

Good point, I had issues with the last XP drivers not recognizing my monitor over HDMI . i had to go back a couple of versions . I did not play many games before I mothballed that machine . There is always dgVoodoo2 for older games .

Reply 11 of 12, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kolderman wrote on 2020-05-22, 09:29:

The 275 is a heat/power monster. The 560 better imo.

I am really not sure what the objective is here .

The Radeon 4850 has a TDP of 11o Watts .
The Geforce 560 has a TDP of 150 Watts .
The Geforce 560 TI has a TDP of 170 Watts .
The Geforce 275 has a TDP of 219 Watts .

All the cards you're considering and expect to be quieter than the 4850 consume more power and generate more heat than it does.

More heat generally means more cooling and thus more noise . Granted, some more powerful cooling solutions are quieter than lesser ones, but there are no miracles to be expected .

That said, maybe your 4850 has a particularly crappy cooling solution or the fan bearings on it have degraded and are noisier than they should or maybe the thermal paste on the GPU has deteriorated and the thermal sensor on the card is spinning the fans faster in desperation to try to prevent the card from overheating . So maybe you'll get lucky and the 560 will actually be quieter than the 4850, but I would not bet on it .

Reply 12 of 12, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah the Radeon HD 48xx cards were sometimes anything but quiet. Lots of cheap cooling solutions back then. ATI wasn't producing high quality reference coolers either.