VOGONS

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So my 486 right now is using a Trident 8900c Isa card, I'd like better performance for games like Doom and wold3d so I'm planning to get a dx2 66 later, but I know my video card is better suited for my 386sx. So what is recommended, in my price range I see tridents and s3 805s. I've got a 50 dollar budget for the card according to the wife.

Reply 1 of 10, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Keep an eye out for the Cirrus Logic ones, especially the 5428 and the 5429. I see you're based in the USA and I don't know about the availability there, but here in Europe they're pretty common.

Reply 2 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Trident 9400 and 9440 VLB cards look like they are going for around $35 on eBay.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 10, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If all you want is to play games DOOM and similar games then a piece of good news is that VLB card type doesn't matter. They are all very close to each other.

I'd take a S3 805 if you can see one.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 4 of 10, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have about 8 VLB cards, and they're all within 5% of each other in Superscape and Doom realtics benches.

The Cirrus 5426 is actually faster than the two 5428 cards I have.

You can get NOS 5426 and S3 805 for $40-$50 before shipping.

Reply 6 of 10, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is there any reason not to get a Trident 9440?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 7 of 10, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If all you want is to play games DOOM and similar games

There's no similar to Doom games though, because they all use different approach to rendering.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 9 of 10, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My slight preference for S3 805 is that given a plethora of Trident chips variants you could get a bad apple (as some are passive cards without acceleration if you care about that). TGUI944x should be fine though.

I doubt any Trident is much faster in DOS than average S3 805 given by tiny differences between VLB cards in general.

Cards I tested:

https://dependency-injection.com/vlb-vga-group-test/

Need to get a Trident for my review.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 10 of 10, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

so i grabbed a Trident PM-V513, it was the cheapest option and it says on the vogons wiki that it is a 9440 card so this will do fine right?