VOGONS

First post, by stephenlamppost

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Has anyone ever seen display corruption like the following? My best theory is that it's caused by a damaged/dirty AGP slot, but I'm really not sure.

DSC_2106.jpg

DSC_2108.jpg

DSC_2110.jpg

This is on a Socket 7 machine, and seen with two different AGP cards (both 3dfx Voodoo3, one a 2000 and one a 3000). There's no problem when using a PCI graphics card. I'm worried I might have to replace the main board.

I've tried cleaning the AGP slot, but... it's tricky! The contacts move and it's easy to snag them, so I'm worried about making things worse. If anyone has tips, they would be greatly appreciated!

Reply 1 of 12, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

you could use one of those card type things people use for console cart sockets? or just put some isopropanol on a AGP card's edge connector, shove it in and out several times, then clean off the contacts on the card

Reply 2 of 12, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-06-09, 22:56:

you could use one of those card type things people use for console cart sockets? or just put some isopropanol on a AGP card's edge connector, shove it in and out several times, then clean off the contacts on the card

It could also be two AGP Voodoos with bad video RAM . I hope it's the mainboard AGP slot and that it just needs to be cleaned .

Reply 5 of 12, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you tired these two cards in another system? Also did you try any other agp cards besides the Voodoo's? I ask cause usually when I see graphic corruption like that its vram issue.

Reply 7 of 12, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-06-10, 02:57:

Have you tired these two cards in another system? Also did you try any other agp cards besides the Voodoo's? I ask cause usually when I see graphic corruption like that its vram issue.

My first thought was vram issue.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 8 of 12, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try disabling Video BIOS cacheing/shadowing in the BIOS. Also, make sure to retry after setting the AGP slot to 1x in BIOS. This does not look like a slot problem.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 10 of 12, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also, try messing around with AGP Aperture Size options and try downclocking your system RAM.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 11 of 12, by stephenlamppost

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the replies everyone!

In hindsight my slot theory was a bit silly. I was thinking that was all the AGP cards I have, but then I remembered... I do have a Matrox G400 card in another machine. I swapped it in, and it worked fine.

And then I remembered I have a spare Gigabyte socket 7 board sitting in a box. Got it out and tried it with one of the 3dfx cards -- same corruption!

So it is definitely the cards, and I guess VRAM seems likely. I thought it was bad luck that both cards developed the same problem, but they're similar cards/vintage so I guess the parts are prone to the same failures.

Still, I have tried the BIOS tinkerings suggested:

- disabling shadow: no change

- aperture size: tried all possible values 4M -- 256M, no change

- set slot to Tx: couldn't find that setting. I did tinker with the wait states for AGP master read/write, no change

- downclocking system RAM: haven't tried that yet... I'll have to rummage for the motherboard manual to make sure I get the jumper settings correct

Replacing those 3dfx cards is a bit expensive these days. Assuming it is bad VRAM, is there any hope of replacing it? Once lockdown is over I do have access to a reflow oven, and maybe even (if I ask nicely) a friend with the skill and time to use it (less certain! it's beyond my skills to do this).