VOGONS

First post, by tyami94

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,

I've just acquired an AOpen AX4SG-UN (Socket 478) board, and I'm having a very odd issue. My hardware is probably a bit newer than what you guys normally deal with, but I figured you all would be able to offer the most relevant advice.

I cannot get my 9700 Pro to work on this board, and I cannot figure out why. For all intents and purposes, it should be compatible. The system POSTs and boots fine without the card installed, but when I install it the system will not power up at all (no fans or anything). The AGP protection LED comes on whenever the card is installed, which the manual says is supposed to prevent 3.3V cards from burning out the chipset (It only supports 1.5v and .8V cards). Based on what I've gathered, the 9700 Pro is a universal 3.3V/1.5V card, so I have no idea why protection is kicking in.

Can any of you guys help me out a little bit? I don't know if I'm missing something obvious, or if there is something that I forgot to configure, etc. I've attached the manual for the board, but it doesn't look like I'm missing anything.

Thanks in advance,

--Tyler

Attachments

• Filename
    ax4sgul-ol-e.pdf
    File size
    4.44 MiB
    Downloads
    40 downloads
    File comment
    AOpen AX4SG-UN Manual (PDF)
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tyami94 wrote on 2020-06-11, 23:42:
Hi everyone, […]
Show full quote

Hi everyone,

I've just acquired an AOpen AX4SG-UN (Socket 478) board, and I'm having a very odd issue. My hardware is probably a bit newer than what you guys normally deal with, but I figured you all would be able to offer the most relevant advice.

I cannot get my 9700 Pro to work on this board, and I cannot figure out why. For all intents and purposes, it should be compatible. The system POSTs and boots fine without the card installed, but when I install it the system will not power up at all (no fans or anything). The AGP protection LED comes on whenever the card is installed, which the manual says is supposed to prevent 3.3V cards from burning out the chipset (It only supports 1.5v and .8V cards). Based on what I've gathered, the 9700 Pro is a universal 3.3V/1.5V card, so I have no idea why protection is kicking in.

Can any of you guys help me out a little bit? I don't know if I'm missing something obvious, or if there is something that I forgot to configure, etc. I've attached the manual for the board, but it doesn't look like I'm missing anything.

Thanks in advance,

--Tyler

Do you have another AGP board where you could test the Radeon 9700 ? It may just be defective . They have a habit of overheating and dying, likely because of an arguably badly thought out shim around the GPU core (prevents good contact between GPU core and heatsink) .

Reply 2 of 10, by tyami94

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-06-11, 23:49:
Hi everyone, […]
Show full quote

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance,

--Tyler

Do you have another AGP board where you could test the Radeon 9700 ? It may just be defective . They have a habit of overheating and dying, likely because of an arguably badly thought out shim around the GPU core (prevents good contact between GPU core and heatsink) .

I just popped it into a 440BX board and it POSTed right away and seemed to work fine. I'm not sure if it would make any difference, but the 440BX board has a 3.3V slot, and the AOpen board has a 1.5V slot. Is there any reason for it to only work in a 3.3V slot and not a 1.5V slot, given that it's a universal card? Would there be a jumper or some sort of configuration that I have to adjust?

--Tyler

Edit: Misread your reply, and thought you were referring to another card. Adjusted accordingly.

Reply 3 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tyami94 wrote on 2020-06-12, 00:33:
I just popped it into a 440BX board and it POSTed right away and seemed to work fine. I'm not sure if it would make any differen […]
Show full quote
darry wrote on 2020-06-11, 23:49:
Hi everyone, […]
Show full quote

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance,

--Tyler

I just popped it into a 440BX board and it POSTed right away and seemed to work fine. I'm not sure if it would make any difference, but the 440BX board has a 3.3V slot, and the AOpen board has a 1.5V slot. Is there any reason for it to only work in a 3.3V slot and not a 1.5V slot, given that it's a universal card? Would there be a jumper or some sort of configuration that I have to adjust?

--Tyler

Edit: Misread your reply, and thought you were referring to another card. Adjusted accordingly.

As far as I know, it should just work .

Reply 4 of 10, by pixel_workbench

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I remember reading in the manual of some Asus s478 board that the early revisions of the 9700pro may have compatibility problems with the board. So chances are you're running into the same issue.

Speaking of which, your board also has integrated video which should automatically be disabled when an AGP card is present, but that's one more point of failure. I have a Sis 651 AOpen s478 board with integrated video, which simply refuses to POST with Intel i740 or Cromatic Mpact2 video cards, even though the cards work fine on an older board.

My Videos | Website
P2 400 unlocked / Asus P3B-F / Voodoo3 3k / MX300 + YMF718

Reply 5 of 10, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The 9700 hardware was incompatible with quite a few motherboards. I ran into this at the time when it was released, it wouldn't work with my P4 motherboard , then the 9800 was released which was documented as to having fixes for compatibility with motherboards and that card worked fine in the same motherboard. The 9700 is not a good board for functionality in old machines, but great historically, would be better to use a 9800.

Edit : Motherboard was a ASUS P4B or P3B-F at the time.

Last edited by Shagittarius on 2020-06-12, 17:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 10, by texterted

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Check if the last two digits of the P/N end in less than 30

My Asus MB mentions problems if it does.

Cheers

Ted

98se/W2K :- Asus A8v Dlx. A-64 3500+, 512 mb ddr, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Live.
XP Pro:- Asus P5 Q SE Plus, C2D E8400, 4 Gig DDR2, Radeon HD4870, SB Audigy 2ZS.

Reply 8 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shagittarius wrote on 2020-06-12, 16:16:

The 9700 hardware was incompatible with quite a few motherboards. I ran into this at the time when it was released, it wouldn't work with my P4 motherboard , then the 9800 was released which was documented as to having fixes for compatibility with motherboards and that card worked fine in the same motherboard. The 9700 is not a good board for functionality in old machines, but great historically, would be better to use a 9800.

Edit : Motherboard was a ASUS P4B or P3B-F at the time.

Radeon 9700 is only stable in 3D in AGP 1x mode in my P3B-F .

Reply 9 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tyami94 wrote on 2020-06-14, 02:33:

My card ends in -01. I may be SOL on this one. Can anyone recommend any similarly performing cards that can still be found cheap on eBay?

--Tyler

Define cheap and specify the country you are in .

Reply 10 of 10, by Kumix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Hi everyone, […]
Show full quote

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance,

--Tyler

I have a similar motherboard. Exactly Aopen AX4SPB-UN
I use an MSi Geforce4 Ti 4600 and it works fine.
When I install my other Sparkle SP7200 Ti 4600 graphics the system doesn't work.
I don't know why it happens and I always use the Msi