VOGONS

First post, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So this ISA XGA video card I picked up a few days ago is not giving any video output in my 486 system.

card.jpg
Filename
card.jpg
File size
1.41 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
left.jpg
Filename
left.jpg
File size
760.46 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Right.jpg
Filename
Right.jpg
File size
676.15 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
EPROM-chip.jpg
Filename
EPROM-chip.jpg
File size
77.7 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

See the gold chip on the left? That seems to indicate that this is a prototype or an engineering sample. The FCC ID listed on the card doesn't bring anything up.

I have tried a bunch of different jumper and switch settings and still nothing. Not sure if there is something wrong with this card, if it has some incompatibility with my system or LCD monitor (I can try hooking up to my CRT), or maybe the settings I am trying are the problem.

If I disable the ROM, it gives me the no video beeps.

I noticed that the EPROM chip had some bent legs and wasn't sure if maybe one or more of them wasn't making good contact with the socket.

I removed the EPROM and have backed it up with my reader:

Filename
InMOS XGA - Fairchild NM27C256Q-150.zip
File size
15.27 KiB
Downloads
45 downloads
File license
Public domain

I am going to have to replace the EPROM because when I was trying to straighten the VCC pin it cracked and is just barely hanging on. Edit.... actually it is the GND pin. I was looking at the datasheet wrong.
I can order the same part on Ebay for $1.99 + shipping so I will probably do that unless there is a more common chip that I could use.2

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK